• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping a 54" Plotter - Advice Needed

MarkH42

I have located a used Graphtec FC7000-130 several states away and I am interested in purchasing it. The seller is willing to help package the plotter, but he is not a carpenter. My question is, what is the best way to ship these things? I'm guessing it weighs 130 lbs. Will UPS ship it? Is it better to use LTL and, if so, can you get someone local to prepare it for shipping? Obviously this is a delicate piece of equipment and it needs to be padded and protected from the beating it is sure to get at the various points along the route where it will be loaded and unloaded. Have any of you done this successfully? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Mosh

+ on go get it, or google up shipping co. I would bet either way $400-$500 by the time to crate it and ship it or go get it.

Molenbeek

Definitely needs to go LTL at the very least. One option we've utilized is United Van Lines. We have shipped several pieces of equipment through there without any issues.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
HI. DO NOT USE UPS. i know that sounds wrong. but, go to USHIPIT.com this is the best way. i saved SO MUCH coin shipping a ten foot sign to key west it is almost unprintable. i compared UPS's prices to this company. UPS was 800. ushipit? 140. same starting point, same end point.
hope this helps.
-Mosher

MarkH42

Maybe I should clarify that it is 1,800 miles away, so renting a van to pick it up is more of a trip than I want to take. LTL is probably the way to go, but I need to have it palletized in a way that will facilitate a safe trip. If it is simply strapped to a pallet it will be ruined by the time it arrives. I'm wondering if there are companies that specialize in preparing things like this for shipping.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fly out, rent a one-way U-Haul and bring it back. Get to see some of the country's sights and take a mini-vacation on the way back. Relax and enjoy it. Just stay away from Bate's Motel............. :rolleyes:

If that doesn't suit you..... find one closer to home.

I'd never trust someone just packing it up and not clamping this or that down and then the insurance doesn't cover you for damages.

otctech

If you do ship it make sure you get it insured. It will cost a little more but it will be worth being worry free.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
call a moving company. no pallet, no crate, they pick it up, they actually care about it. it arrives priceless.

shipping companies have a bunch of monkeys at the different terminals it makes it to and from that like to smash things....

rjssigns

I've built killer crates for equipment because the trucking companies are rough on things. Now there is a company near us that will bag the unit, put it in a crate or box them pump it full of foam. Never had an issue with anything they did. I imagine it's a PITA to dig it out, but it will arrive in perfect shape.