• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping for Customers

Rodan68

Just wondering how people handle customers that want their jobs shipped for them. Suppose you made 10 signs for them and instead of them just picking it up, they want 2 shipped to NY, 2 to Chicago, etc. Then they give you their Fed Ex number. I want to be nice but I feel like just telling them to pick it up and do it themselves.

signage

I would tell them that there is a packaging and handling charge. Unless they told me that when they ordered them.

jiarby

Explain that you would be glad to accomodate their extra shipping requirements.
The previous price was FOB <your location>... so you just charge them for the shipping & handling.

Mainframe

Depends if they use you a lot, if they are a steady customer that just "orders" & pays, charge full boat every time & just ad a "packing" charge to the ones that get shipped.
Someone who orders 10 signs is my friend, I try to take good care of them. If they have a Fed-ex number, does that mean the truck stops at your place to pick them up?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Charge for shipping and handling also cost of materials to pack up your shipments. if the customer wants them shipped to 5 different places, feel free to accomodate all you want ... just charge him for that service so he/she doesn't have to.

Rodan68

It's a good customer but I'm usually notified after completion of the job when I contact them. It's like "BTW these have to be shipped today to these locations." Then I have to repackage everything over again and rush to get it out by the end of the day. Then I have to reinvoice if I want to charge a shipping and handling fee. It just irks me a little. I guess if I just raise the handling fee I won't feel so bad about it.

njshorts

That's how I'd handle it- but be sure to ask in advance. I'd probably be a bit vindictive though and up the handling fee if it weren't mentioned when the job was being submitted.

For example, I have a friend with a boat that he titled "Change Order". He owns a large electric company, and I assume you can guess why he loves the additional profits of an order being changed once submitted and worked...

mark galoob

As slack and ship store I charge to ship. Yes it's 'more than my cost. If you mark up cost on anything else you do why not packing and shipping

Mark galoob

Mosh

We ship all orders over $200 for free...UNLESS they want us to drop ship them to 50 different places, or it is like a 5 ton sign cabinet....

10sacer

Run into this all the time as most of what I do is at least 4x8 or bigger or some odd size they don't make a standard box for. You can spend quite alot of time rigging up some sort of container to ship stuff out in and you should charge for that time and material to do so. if it fits in some standard fedex box - then just use their account and have it picked up - no harm - no foul.

binki

we charge a fee to take it to fedex before 5pm. if they dont want that we dont charge and just drop it on the way home at the fedex store.

ova

We get alot of ware from suppliers packed in the annoying styrofoam "peanut" crap that sticks to everything from the static.

I just laugh when when I'm packing trophies and filling the box with the peanuts. This is how we get rid of this stuff. Just pass it on. We rarely charge for dunage because we use leftovers. Shipping is processed into our prices on orders like this.

Dave

petrosgraphics

we ship items all the time.... it does not matter what size.... lg. & sm. cardboard boxes

to crated items.... use their fed-ex or ups number, charge them, materials and time....

off they go......