• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping large cut vinyl

chartle

Ok no that I have some ideas for taping I've now got to ship these decals.

I can ship most flat in box but I have one decal thats 28 by 65 and kind of triangular in shape. Its 3M 680 CR reflective. If you have never worked with it its a major pain. The vinyl is super thick and barely wants to stick to its own release paper.

I got some Oracal HT 55 tape that will supposedly stick to the release paper but for the few pieces I've done not so sure.

I'm not sure the best way to ship. I read somewhere on the 3M website that the minimum radius is 13 but seems very tight.

Also app paper inside or outside.

Thanks

chartle

Always roll premask out. Roll as loosely as you can and ship them in the biggest shipping tube or box you can find.

As for premask, check out 3M SCPS-55.

Thanks for proper premask. I once tried to figure what exactly to use and got lost on the 3M website.

I just ordered 2 rolls to go with the 5 rolls of 680CR. Biggest vinyl order i have ever placed.

2B

Always roll premask out. Roll as loosely as you can and ship them in the biggest shipping tube or box you can find.

As for premask, check out 3M SCPS-55.

to add to this we find find if you wrap the transfer tape so it is on all sides of the backside (non-coated side) to the vinyl backing, about a 1/2 inch worth.
This will add extra adhesive and ensure it will not separate in transit.

chartle

to add to this we find find if you wrap the transfer tape so it is on all sides of the backside (non-coated side) to the vinyl backing, about a 1/2 inch worth.
This will add extra adhesive and ensure it will not separate in transit.

Don't have that luxury. I do 20 or 30 per sheet and then have to slice them up into individual pieces.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't have that luxury. I do 20 or 30 per sheet and then have to slice them up into individual pieces.

Okay, but you stated you have one decal thats 28 by 65 and kind of triangular in shape. Its 3M 680 CR reflective. That would lead me to believe 2B's advice will work, also.

Malkin

Another vote here for the 3M SCPS-55 tape. We use it on all cut vinyl jobs that have an air-egress adhesive, including the 680cr reflective we use on ambulance work.

chartle

Okay, but you stated you have one decal thats 28 by 65 and kind of triangular in shape. Its 3M 680 CR reflective. That would lead me to believe 2B's advice will work, also.

Not exactly since they are also cut from a larger sheet. We would have to cut apart the pieces and then trim the release paper to get that 1/2" overlap.

I use 3M blue tape all the way around. Holds it together nicely. I always try to ship flat. If not I wrap tight around a core and tape to the core. Then tell customers let it sit out flat on a table with some weight on it for an hour or so and you should be good to go.

chartle

I'm going over some of my old threads and thought a follow up would help anyone else who reads this.

The 3M SCPS-55 tape is working perfectly. It sticks to the 680 CR release paper better the then vinyl does.