• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping Large Decals/Stickers

Joe2111

I'm pretty new to this and most of the stickers I've made and sold have been relatively small (20cm x 30cm) and I can ship these flat but I've just made a couple of larger items (60cm x 90cm) and assumed I'd be able to roll them around a vinyl core and ship them that way. I've found after trying this that I'm getting lots of wrinkles and it even seems that the app tape is lifting some of the vinyl off the backing paper. I'm hoping that if the customer unrolls the stickers and leaves them flat for a while that they'll be OK and that the application will not be a problem.

I'm hoping somebody here can help. Maybe I need to roll them with the app tape on top so it ends up on the inside of the roll iykwim..or maybe the other way's the answer with the app tape finishing on the outside of the roll.

Cheers
Joe

Biker Scout

You are always supposed to roll vinyl outward, the same way it comes off the roll. The best way I've found to ship is in triangle or square boxes, loosely unfurled inside the box.

Supergirl

I roll them outward and i get that same problem.

i know exactly what Joe means. I use clear transfertape.

jrsc

You are always supposed to roll vinyl outward, the same way it comes off the roll. The best way I've found to ship is in triangle or square boxes, loosely unfurled inside the box.

I've always found the triangle and square boxes to get crushed by the shipping companies and damage the product. I had to switch to all round tubes.

Biker Scout

I've never had a box get crushed that I mailed out. But, as in life YMMV.
Round tubes always cost more to ship, because they are thicker wall. The thinner wall tubes are small inside diameter to roll up anything but a poster. Forget a set of vinyl decals.

(Oh yeah, I haven't used paper mask in 15 years. Refuse to even buy it. So yeah... clear transfer tape is way better for this sort of thing too)

Joe2111

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the advice. I'll try rolling them vinyl out and see how it works out. The customer is a friend so hopefully he'll cut me some slack if they take some work to flatten and apply. At the same time I should get some feedback on the issues this causes for the end user.
Cheers
Joe

Supergirl

If an order is big enough, i throw in a free squeegee and tell them to lay it flat to relax and squeegee out anything that lifted off the backing. it just can't be good for vinyl to be off of it for days, so it's still a problem.

i was really hoping somebody would just tell us we're doing something wrong LOL

DigiPrinter

Are these die-cut pieces or contour cut pieces? If they're one-piece decals then do you really need the transfer tape??? If they've been laminated they'll have a little rigidity to them and could be put on by most easily.....some it just won't matter :wink:

Supergirl

Mine were die cut pieces like this one. 24 x 36 (black rider)
transfer tape very much needed :(

I tried the trailer graphic. It was a catastrophe to transfer tape. Would never do a trailer die cut graphic again :banghead:

(customer applied it)

Attachments

• 944789_564166696952198_1692242811_n.jpg
    944789_564166696952198_1692242811_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1381716_590107061024828_987256084_n.jpg
    1381716_590107061024828_987256084_n.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 250

S'N'S

Clear plastic type mask sucks and will always tunnel, use normal paper type mask and roll with the vinyl outside. There is no need to use clear for anything other than lining up multiple color graphics because...did I mention that clear sucks.
Get some High tack mask with RLA which sticks to your backing paper and won't lift or tunnel, I use Neotape but other brands have it.
I roll up and put in an old used vinyl tube and tape the ends....job done, charge them for the postage.

DigiPrinter

Mine were die cut pieces like this one. 24 x 36 (black rider)
transfer tape very much needed :(

I tried the trailer graphic. It was a catastrophe to transfer tape. Would never do a trailer die cut graphic again :banghead:

(customer applied it)

When die-cutting gotta use the transfer tape.......go paper. S'N'S said, clear sucks. Tape away and roll outwards to avoid the tunnel'n. Also, go "Home of the Milk-Day Queen"

Biker Scout

I get what you are saying with the lift and tunneling on the clear... but it's all in how you handle it. It's also the most forgiving to work with. If you get a tunnel or crease or lift on paper mask, it's game over. The vinyl is guaranteed ruined in that spot. No so with clear mask. But then again it's all about technique and knowing when not to freak out if that occurs. 99% of the time a graphic can be saved on the install with clear regardless of the condition of the masking. But, I've got over 20 years experience with clear mask. Also, you gotta have a different technique to apply the mask in the first place. High tack has less issues with tunneling. Plus if you ever have to do anything wet... paper mask is the worst.

Try R-tape Clear Choice AT75, wrap the decals around a standard 3" tube with shrink wrap and ship inside a larger tube, or box. At least that's what we would do.

Supergirl

Clear plastic type mask sucks and will always tunnel, use normal paper type mask and roll with the vinyl outside. There is no need to use clear for anything other than lining up multiple color graphics because...did I mention that clear sucks.
Get some High tack mask with RLA which sticks to your backing paper and won't lift or tunnel, I use Neotape but other brands have it.
I roll up and put in an old used vinyl tube and tape the ends....job done, charge them for the postage.

I will get a roll of paper tape for the big stuff. Clear works for smaller decals pretty well. most of my customers are motorcycle racers and like to align the sponsor logos and they all say they *love* the clear tape.

When die-cutting gotta use the transfer tape.......go paper. S'N'S said, clear sucks. Tape away and roll outwards to avoid the tunnel'n. Also, go "Home of the Milk-Day Queen"

Hahahaha. Actually never made it to one :) I moved here about 2 years ago. Funny!!!!!

I get what you are saying with the lift and tunneling on the clear... but it's all in how you handle it. It's also the most forgiving to work with. If you get a tunnel or crease or lift on paper mask, it's game over. The vinyl is guaranteed ruined in that spot. No so with clear mask. But then again it's all about technique and knowing when not to freak out if that occurs. 99% of the time a graphic can be saved on the install with clear regardless of the condition of the masking. But, I've got over 20 years experience with clear mask. Also, you gotta have a different technique to apply the mask in the first place. High tack has less issues with tunneling. Plus if you ever have to do anything wet... paper mask is the worst.

i wouldn't freak out, but most of those i ship to customers and I have to make sure they don't freak out :)

Try R-tape Clear Choice AT75, wrap the decals around a standard 3" tube with shrink wrap and ship inside a larger tube, or box. At least that's what we would do.

I'll get a paper roll for the big stuff.
When my clear runs out, i'll try the AT75.

Thank you all for your replies!

-Tea