• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Shipping Rate Going Crazy

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Shipping rates are going out of this world with pricing. To ship a 37 pound package from NJ to NY is a one day delivery by UPS, but the company that is shipping the item wants $40.00. The company offers no shipping discounts based on the dollar amount you spend. I added a 23 pound item to the cart and the shipping jumped to $71.28.

I just don't get why shipping is so expensive from some of these companies. They must be adding surcharges to the shipping.

OK I'm all done now.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
On a shopping cart setup, you can add in fees above and beyond the actual cost to ship. Some places add a lot on, some don't but either way, it takes time to package a box, then the cost of the supplies and boxes. It all slowly erodes away profit, sometimes to the point that it's not even worth dealing with it on certain items.
UPS just mangled up one of our shipments, it was over $500. We screw it to a reinforced wood frame and they still tore it all up. They won't pay any claim either. Had one awhile back for around $200, denied. That one, the box literally had tire marks from a hand truck running over it. I finally got them to pay on that one but only because it was actually ran over. Packages get lost, driver never scanned it so sorry for your luck. So anyways, you also have to factor in these losses to your cost. If you raise your product price, they will buy from somewhere else so tack it onto the shipping?