• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping

Mark H

Hello,

Do you ship a lot of your product? Anything that can be rolled seems simple but what if it can't? i can't stock 100's of sizes of boxes. Do you stock flat cardboard, cut to size and sandwich it sign in-between? Is that safe from damage or does it need bubble wrap too. Better to figure this out before I need to ship a large sign by courier or UPS.

Thanks

equippaint

We have terrible luck with larger signs (30x48+\-) or anything heavy in a single box 30lbs or more via ups.
We put do not bend all over the larger ones and it does nothing. The heavier boxes get dropped on the corners. We had one sent back with hand truck wheel marks right across the do not bend label.
We started making frames with fir strips around the larger dimensions and boxing them. Anything moderately heavy 40lbs + goes LTL on a pallet. Loading a pallet and not using boxes is honestly probably a wash cost wise. Boxes arent cheap nor is labor spent screwing with them.

Mark H

If shipping say a few foam core of DiBond signs do you just stock corrugated cardboard sheets and sandwich the signs between a couple sheets cut a little larger than the sign? Do you need to wrap them in bubble wrap are something first?

chartle

I just shipped a few foam core signs. I mostly protected it from bending, corner damage and puncture. I doubt bubble wrap protect it from any type of damage like that.

I modified the boxes I already had that I now rarely use. I used a few extra flats of cardboard and sort of made a frame going all the way around for the corners and edges. I also put scrap liner between the 3 signs so they I didn't rub against each other.

I asked them to let me know if they got it ok but never heard from them. I really don't have customers that would "complain" I make stuff for our sister companies and ship around the US and its mostly rolled vehicle graphics. Though this was for my boss's daughter's event planning company.

equippaint

If shipping say a few foam core of DiBond signs do you just stock corrugated cardboard sheets and sandwich the signs between a couple sheets cut a little larger than the sign? Do you need to wrap them in bubble wrap are something first?
We ship 36x 48 3mm acm signs all over and you need to build support or they will arrive damaged We shrink firing strips to them, put 8 do not bend labels on the boxes and they still get mangled. We were told that because of the width, they get caught on the conveyor in the ups sort facility but I think its drivers too. We've had them returned with dolly wheel marks right across the box. My long winded point is, that sandwiching them between cardboard will not work unless you get real lucky.

Johnny Best

I had just bought a flat screen TV and used that box with foam spacers that was in it to ship an acrylic sign to CA.
I have an account with FedEx and it arrived perfect. I think the TV box helped because that is what the shippers though it was.
But I usually use 1x2 framework with masonite outside and foam on the inside. Try to keep under or around 50 lbs. Heavier than that and it gets thrown off the truck when unloading.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Anything bigger than a 4' x4' will need be crated and shipped via truck on a pallet. Check UPS and FedEx for their size limitations (length + 2x width + 2x thickness). I use a light fir frame and put pink foam on the top and bottom, then wrap in cardboard. I've had a few damaged packages, but it is rare.

It really helps to have wood strips, large sheets of cardboard, foam, strapping, tape and supplies at hand. I (used to, I don't do this anymore) use a Kihlberg 35-590 Tacker and have a cut saw at the ready in the shipping department, along with aa approved scale and computerized shipping ticket station. I had regularly scheduled FedEx or UPS pickups. If you are just doing this occasionally it is not worth the time.

equippaint

At a point less than what you think, LTL is cheaper than parcel service. Its easier and cheaper to prep a pallet than boxes too.