• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shock absorbers for a traveling plotter ????????

decalman

Looking to absorb the shock, bounce, and rattle, for a Summa plotter that will be set up in a mobile trailer. It's just a light d75, only wieghs about 40 lb's x 45 inches
I am building a special heavy duty stand for it. It must be easily accessible and very secure. I am racking my brains, on trying to figure out how to settle this shock issue. Any brain storms out there ?? I look forward to a great solution. Thanks

Mount plotter to metal sheet. Mount metal sheet to your stand with compression springs. Bolt through the spring and tighten for a little stability, But loose enough it still can absorb some shock.

2B

lots of foam,

treat it like a camera / camcorder. pack it in form fitted foam carrying case and then extract it when in use.

decalman

Mount plotter to metal sheet. Mount metal sheet to your stand with compression springs. Bolt through the spring and tighten for a little stability, But loose enough it still can absorb some shock.

That compression spring idea sounds pretty realistic. I got to find short ones though. I think that the way to go, unless someone comes up with one that tops that.
Thanks

That compression spring idea sounds pretty realistic. I got to find short ones though. I think that the way to go, unless someone comes up with one that tops that.
Thanks

Thinking about this idea again, you might have some issues with the side to side play though. The springs will help the up and down but it's going to be pretty loose side to side. Unless you have those bolts with very low wiggle room. Even then you might want to weld some little tubes on the table for the bolts to slide into and then the springs around that. That way your not bouncing side to side or back and forth as much.

decalman

Thinking about this idea again, you might have some issues with the side to side play though. The springs will help the up and down but it's going to be pretty loose side to side. Unless you have those bolts with very low wiggle room. Even then you might want to weld some little tubes on the table for the bolts to slide into and then the springs around that. That way your not bouncing side to side or back and forth as much.

I just found out that the compression springs will wear out and lose their resistance. Not so good after all.

Firepilot

We used to run large plotters for fire support, GIS mapping. They were pen plotters but sensitive as well. Like a poster above I suggest a hard case/box and packed with foam like a camera or such. Never had an issue. The plotter could then be mounted with nylon knobs quickly at the job site.

Good luck.

Phil

OldPaint

wow..................how crazy can ya get???since I HAD A MOBILE SIGN SHOP with a plotter set up in ..........a PNC-1100 ROLAND, 24"...........the need for it not to take shocking hits........can be resolved simple by getting 2 12" X 12" pieces of 1" seat foam rubber......set one under each end WHILE YOU ARE MOVING...... and also you need to put a bungie strap on it WHILE YOU ARE MOVING to keep it from sliding around on turns and hard brakings))))

Attachments

• shop tk.jpg
    shop tk.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 54

decalman

wow..................how crazy can ya get???since I HAD A MOBILE SIGN SHOP with a plotter set up in ..........a PNC-1100 ROLAND, 24"...........the need for it not to take shocking hits........can be resolved simple by getting 2 12" X 12" pieces of 1" seat foam rubber......set one under each end WHILE YOU ARE MOVING...... and also you need to put a bungie strap on it WHILE YOU ARE MOVING to keep it from sliding around on turns and hard brakings))))

Yea, thats a wild one. I'll bet you got some clients in that.
I got a different niche. My jobs are all prearranged. I got no signs whatever, except occasional magnets.