• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shooting at sign shop - 5 dead

TNsignchick

It is very sad. Happens too much in this country. I know we are all competitors, but I've been in the business over 18 years, and I feel a special connection to everyone who is in the sign industry. We are a very special breed. It takes a considerable amount of talent, creativity, and overall ability to deal with the public. I pray for the families of those who were senselessly taken away yesterday, as well as the injured ones who are suffering. For everyone who reads this, shake the hand of the next person you meet from another sign company. Give them a pat on the back. We don't get them enough in this business, and we all work very hard and deserve the support of our fellow sign-makers. Have a great weekend sign family :)

SolitaryT

My heart goes out to those families. What a tragedy. I wonder what his motivations were. I'll have to read the article.

gabagoo

I wonder if any of them were members here?

Such a tragedy..... you have to be very careful how you treat employees these days

SolitaryT

Read the article, and, as I posted on my facebook page: "After working in this industry for almost 10 years , I can almost understand why someone would do this. Of all of the "professional" trades, signmakers are too often treated marginally better than 7-Eleven or Walmart employees, only without benefits. Still, this obviously doesn't make it right, and my heart sincerely is with the families of these guys.

SignManiac

I've had concerns over some sketchy employees I've hired and fired over the years. You just never know who you're really dealing with. It doesn't help that the sign business can be a very high stress environment, and not to mention that the one's who are really artistic are somewhat nuts anyway. I include myself among the crazier ones.

I just find it hard to imagine it would ever happen in this industry.

OADesign

This is crazy.
You gotta know who this company is. If you make ada/braille signs or any related product, you have to have heard of Accent. I really feel for those guys over there. Good folks to to business with.

SolitaryT

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. How many people in these jobs work for crappy pay and working conditions?

TNsignchick

I've had concerns over some sketchy employees I've hired and fired over the years. You just never know who you're really dealing with. It doesn't help that the sign business can be a very high stress environment, and not to mention that the one's who are really artistic are somewhat nuts anyway. I include myself among the crazier ones.

I just find it hard to imagine it would ever happen in this industry.

This is so true! When I heard it this morning, I immediately told my husband, "Well, you know most of us in the business are a little crazy" I include myself in the category as well, but never nuts enough to go that far!!:guido:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Read the article, and, as I posted on my facebook page: "After working in this industry for almost 10 years , I can almost understand why someone would do this. Of all of the "professional" trades, signmakers are too often treated marginally better than 7-Eleven or Walmart employees, only without benefits. Still, this obviously doesn't make it right, and my heart sincerely is with the families of these guys.

Other than someone threatening my life, my wife's life or someone close to me, I can't think of any reason this kinda action could be understood by any human being.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, there's definitely a pattern starting here. First it's postal workers, then terrorists and now......... sign people.

CribIt

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. How many people in these jobs work for crappy pay and working conditions?
If you don't like a job.....QUIT!
Don't hang in there just for a paycheck dragging everybody down with you to the breaking point where you get fired.

Will never understand why people work at jobs they don't like.:banghead: