Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting at sign shop - 5 dead

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by slipperyfrog, Sep 28, 2012.

1. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Tags:
  2. SqueeGee

SqueeGee Active Member

May 27, 2005
    Wow!

3. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I just saw this and it is so sad.
    So sorry....

4. TNsignchick

TNsignchick New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    It is very sad. Happens too much in this country. I know we are all competitors, but I've been in the business over 18 years, and I feel a special connection to everyone who is in the sign industry. We are a very special breed. It takes a considerable amount of talent, creativity, and overall ability to deal with the public. I pray for the families of those who were senselessly taken away yesterday, as well as the injured ones who are suffering. For everyone who reads this, shake the hand of the next person you meet from another sign company. Give them a pat on the back. We don't get them enough in this business, and we all work very hard and deserve the support of our fellow sign-makers. Have a great weekend sign family :)

5. SolitaryT

SolitaryT Member

Apr 29, 2010
    My heart goes out to those families. What a tragedy. I wonder what his motivations were. I'll have to read the article.

6. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I wonder if any of them were members here?

Such a tragedy..... you have to be very careful how you treat employees these days

7. SolitaryT

SolitaryT Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Read the article, and, as I posted on my facebook page: "After working in this industry for almost 10 years , I can almost understand why someone would do this. Of all of the "professional" trades, signmakers are too often treated marginally better than 7-Eleven or Walmart employees, only without benefits. Still, this obviously doesn't make it right, and my heart sincerely is with the families of these guys.

8. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Reason 4,169 to carry a concealed weapon.

9. TNsignchick

TNsignchick New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Nashville, TN

Amen!!!:clapping:

10. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I've had concerns over some sketchy employees I've hired and fired over the years. You just never know who you're really dealing with. It doesn't help that the sign business can be a very high stress environment, and not to mention that the one's who are really artistic are somewhat nuts anyway. I include myself among the crazier ones.

I just find it hard to imagine it would ever happen in this industry.

11. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    This is crazy.
    You gotta know who this company is. If you make ada/braille signs or any related product, you have to have heard of Accent. I really feel for those guys over there. Good folks to to business with.

12. SolitaryT

SolitaryT Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. How many people in these jobs work for crappy pay and working conditions?

13. TNsignchick

TNsignchick New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Nashville, TN

This is so true! When I heard it this morning, I immediately told my husband, "Well, you know most of us in the business are a little crazy" I include myself in the category as well, but never nuts enough to go that far!!:guido:

14. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Other than someone threatening my life, my wife's life or someone close to me, I can't think of any reason this kinda action could be understood by any human being.

15. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Yes, so said for the friends and relatives. Sending good thoughts out to them now!

16. SolitaryT

SolitaryT Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Gino, I agree with you. Keyword is "ALMOST". I really couldn't actually fathom doing something like that.

17. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

:omg: :omg: :omg: This is crazy :omg: :omg: :omg:

18. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yep, there's definitely a pattern starting here. First it's postal workers, then terrorists and now......... sign people.

19. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    You know with the number of crickets that have been sold we may just self exterminate...

20. CribIt

CribIt Member

Dec 7, 2006
    If you don't like a job.....QUIT!
    Don't hang in there just for a paycheck dragging everybody down with you to the breaking point where you get fired.

Will never understand why people work at jobs they don't like.:banghead: