• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Closed before we got the signs installed

OlsonSigns601

1 month 1 week ago we took a down payment on a pretty big Channel Letter Sign Job.

Took 2 more week to get produced because of a complication with the delivery (SignFab failed to call my cell phone when they tried to deliver it on Saturday at 7am, Love SignFab will continue to use them and the issue has been resolved).

But anyway, so we send an e-mail explaining we are behind because the cell phone is not working that we have on file.

We send an e-mail telling him we will be out today.

We get out there and there is a notice on the door that they have been shut down by the city.

They are about an hour away so that really kinda sucks to loose 2 hours and gas for two trucks.

So anyway, its been two weeks no contact with the customer and the sign is basically paid for, all they owe us now is for the install which I guess we arn't doing even though we just waited 2 hours, 2 guys and 2 trucks.

So a few parts of the sign are salvageable such as the raceway, some of the cabinets and I've got the word Tobacco and the word Market that I think I can resell.

Question is: Anyone know what I do to get the balance paid now or take ownership of the sign?

Pat Whatley

The city or the landlord will probably know how to get in touch with them. You'll probably have to finesse that info out of them but it can be gotten.

ProWraps

stick it in the corner of your shop. if its not claimed in 90 days, do what you wish with it. if they come back after that, tell them you sold it to cover the cost/s associated with storage.

if they are not in biz, and dont contact you in 90 days, i think the sign is the least of their worries.

Jim Doggett

1 month 1 week ago we took a down payment on a pretty big Channel Letter Sign Job.

Took 2 more week to get produced because of a complication with the delivery (SignFab failed to call my cell phone when they tried to deliver it on Saturday at 7am, Love SignFab will continue to use them and the issue has been resolved).

But anyway, so we send an e-mail explaining we are behind because the cell phone is not working that we have on file.

We send an e-mail telling him we will be out today.

We get out there and there is a notice on the door that they have been shut down by the city.

They are about an hour away so that really kinda sucks to loose 2 hours and gas for two trucks.

So anyway, its been two weeks no contact with the customer and the sign is basically paid for, all they owe us now is for the install which I guess we arn't doing even though we just waited 2 hours, 2 guys and 2 trucks.

So a few parts of the sign are salvageable such as the raceway, some of the cabinets and I've got the word Tobacco and the word Market that I think I can resell.

Question is: Anyone know what I do to get the balance paid now or take ownership of the sign?

Wow. That really blows. Chances are you're out whatever you spent over and above the deposit you received. You have recourse, in court, but that just puts you in line, with other secured creditors, and typically the bank is at the top of the queue, and gets whatever meat is left on the bone, if any. Everyone else usually loses out.

But the sign, and deposit, are yours to keep, I'd think. The other creditors might insist the sign is an asset, and thus part of the meat on the bone left to pick. But I doubt it, since it has no value to them, and likely limited value to you. Just guessing.

Billct2

I had a similar experience, except we hadn't even finished building when we noticed the place was abandoned. Ir was an electric box on pole,sold the box. The pole's still laying out back.

showcase 66

That sucks. At least they paid for most of it.

I had a client that had purchased 3 signs for the building, 2 banners, 3 flags and a bunch of other smaller stuff. Paid the deposit and then the Monday before install and planning on dropping everything off to him, the guy came in and paid the balance and said he wasnt going to be there on Friday but wanted to know if I could install on Thursday. Went Thursday, the place was empty and the owner of the building was there.

They took off the day after he paid for the rest of the money. Went straight to the bank to make sure the check wasnt going to bounce. Never did. and never heard from them again.

OlsonSigns601

Found out from the person that referred this person to us that the guy is in jail.

Didn't get a lot of details on it, but hopefully when he gets out of jail or off parole he will try to open up another business (this time a legal one), pay me for the signs and he stays out of jail.

If not, I'm not to worried about it, I've already got a small profit off the deal and like I said... I'm sure I can sell the letters TOBACCO & MARKET to someone and get more than what is owed to us. Just hoping after about a year of having it sit in storage that the guy doesn't all of a sudden show up and expect his sign.

Billct2

You might want to send a certified letter of some sort detailing your attempt to finish the job and the cost for storage, and time limit.

SignosaurusRex

Normally yes, but I would be sending a letter to a vacant building with nobody there to sign for it.
How hard is it to send him a letter while he sits in jail? It's not like inmates don't get mail.:doh: Make a few calls, send a letter or two, hold the sign for 90 days, document all calls and letters and let it go. If after 90 days you've not heard from him and made any new arrangements, off what you can, be done with it and move on. Count yourself lucky that you got what moneys you did and still made a small profit.

digitalwoodshop

Thank goodness for DEPOSITS.... The only way to go...

Selling "Bath Salts" have been the reason for the quick closings of Tobacco Shops in my area..

AL

OlsonSigns601

Thanks, now that I know were he is I am not worried anymore.

Ill hold it as long as he wants. When he does open up another shop he will be happy and refer me to a buddy.

We've done about 75% of the tobacco shops in the area and will continue to do so because I treat them right.