• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop layout

Twincam 09

Hi everyone new to the forum hailing from ireland.have just got keys today to my new 1st floor commercial unit that i have decided to set up in.im pretty new to sign making only been at it 6 months or so but with very little space at home iv decided to take on this unit as i got it at a good price per month.im small time compared to some of you bigger shops im sure....so iv got this big open space now and am looking for some ideas on layouts
I have a sp300i an a 24in plotter along with my graphics computer 1 heat press a number plate roller and a 1600mm manual laminator/mounter any suggestions welcome its a single span unit approx 6metres wide by 15metres long

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Welcome, and congratulations on your new space! I'm afraid I have no profound advice on your set-up other than to consider your production system and arrange things according to your flow. Good luck!

Dan360

We went through a few iterations, measuring your equipment and mocking up a layout in illustrator is helpful before moving stuff around. Mainly think about workflow and what makes the most sense in terms of efficiency and comfort. Avoid wasted space, think about future additions in equipment or employees. You'll also find some things work in theory but not so much in practice. I believe in fine tuning/improving what you can after trying it out for a while. I put all our tables on wheels so we can make a 30+ foot long workspace if we ever need to, great if you have the room for something like that.

Not sure what kind of power the printer needs, but if you don't need anything special then you're not really committed to anything.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What’s your main business focus? That’ll probably dictate a lot. I mentioned banners earlier but is the sp300i not only 30”? Can’t imagine you’ll need too much space for those machines.

a lot of it will be what suits you. I.e leave space for rolls of media next to the machine you put the media in.

Twincam 09

At the moment basically doing vehicle graphics and general safety signage and stuff for factories and the likes....but ill be hoping to expand in the future to larger projects and invest in a 54in machine...i guess im overthinking maybe as everythin is easily moved around....wheels on the tables is a very good idea too

Stacey K

I like making signs
My tables are all 4' wide and 8' long. I can move them around as needed depending on my needs. My main computer area is U shaped. It works great for most jobs, cutting, weeding, masking but for applying I use my larger tables in my open area. You can easily and cheaply build counters using 2x4's if you are handy. I bought 2 - 6' sections of laminate counter top cheap and that's my desk area. Don't forget a tape measure on your bench! I built everything myself and stained it so it has a rustic look.

HecklnDecalr

Tables on wheels, make sure they're all the same height...and at a height that is comfortable to work at. Shelving or pallet racking...or both. This will help you stay organized and keep signs, decals and media out of your way while you work.

BKBRO

At the moment basically doing vehicle graphics and general safety signage and stuff for factories and the likes....but ill be hoping to expand in the future to larger projects and invest in a 54in machine...i guess im overthinking maybe as everythin is easily moved around....wheels on the tables is a very good idea too
If you're going to be moving up to larger printers (particularly anything that heat sets, like a latex printer for vehicle wraps), you'll want to make sure you have adequate power. Shouldn't be an issue in Ireland, as I believe the standard there is 230V, unlike the 110V norm in the U.S. For example, many 54" latex printers require two(2) 220-230V service lines.