• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop organization examples

2B

thanks, I have been looking for a way to store the plotter vinyl that was space friendly

not a fan of storing material vertical always found horizontal to work better and on a rack with wheels. keeps the edge off the floor and allows to be moved as needed

CP Signs

Hope this works. It was only $100.

ForumRunner_20121122_075352.png

CP Signs

Genericname: I love this rack. Once my new shop is set up, I'll see what kind of room I have and will probably get another one. Tx

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I had a similar avalanche that broke the screen on my new graphtec fc 8000. Had to run it blind till the part came from Japan. Ill never store rolls over my equipment again.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Now let's take it one step further with another subject: 5S (sort, set, shine, standardize, sustain)

For the uninitiated, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

It can be applied to every work situation and is amazingly simple to initiate and maintain.

For me, a cluttered* work area drains me of energy and motivation and is a bad example when customers visit.

*There are two types of clutter: trash, and non-trash. I can't believe how many shops could clear half their work area if they just pitched out the trash.

JB

genericname

Genericname: I love this rack. Once my new shop is set up, I'll see what kind of room I have and will probably get another one. Tx

Yeah, they're pretty great. When I first got here though, the print room was cluttered with three or four of them. I reorganized our storage, and was able to minimize it to a single rack. Good to see the extras go to a good home.

Centro Graphics

Your timing couldn't be better..... having just experience the worst vinyl avalanche in recent history we need to change how we store our digital and cut vinyl rolls.

No injuries were reported but I have heard rumors that the first couple of yards from every roll are filing a report with workman's comp. :rolleyes:

And this picture was taken after all the 54" digital rolls were cleared away from where they landed......right on the ink cart tray. Luckily our Roland walked away unharmed.

That does look devastating.

What I spotted in that picture was your fan in front of the printer. I thought we were the only ones using a fan (although ours is bigger :toasting:) to speed up evaporation of solvent ink.

Craig Sjoquist

Well luck has it I've been clearing out everything in my shop since July & regrouping here geez after all these years ya think I would have down pat, but I is a pack rat. lol

lately a 5 gal. bucket of screw drivers same with plies oh yeah 6 claw hammers lol
now going thru mechanics tools lol

So good posts seeing how some of ya are well organized indeed.

SignManiac

I'm just getting started. I detest mess and clutter, drives me crazy and I don't need more crazy. Here are two things I just put together for the new shop to keep things neat.

First one is a free standing vertical visual device barrier which is viewed from the front customer area. Behind it is all of my larger rolls of media for the printer.

The second one is a 5'x10' weeding table with the Rhino self healing cutting mat. I built it on wheels and will store the several hundreds of drop cuts in an assortment of materials I have accumulated over the years. When a client wants to see how big a certain size is or what the material is, I can pull it out of the bargain box and sell them what's on hand. Helps to get rid of small scraps and saves time having to find and cut stock down. Around the base I have all my vinyl colors stored so the client can pick and choose the colors they want, plus it's easy and convenient storage.

I have several other projects that I haven't gotten round to yet. But like everything, just takes time..

Attachments

• showroom-11.jpg
    showroom-11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 348
  • showroom-12.jpg
    showroom-12.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 328
  • showroom-13.jpg
    showroom-13.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 315
  • showroom-14.jpg
    showroom-14.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 335

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Signmanic,
I really like the storage under the weeding table lid.
If you lined the inside with activated charcoal & some lime you could store a body there for months with no one catching on.....

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wayne, how do you know I don't have one stored in there now???? :)
I don't, but I figured it would have to be a good deal larger if it was used to store those customers that come in requesting a "Calvin peeing on something" sticker for their vehicle.....

You are building something really nice with this new shop - thanks for posting these work in progress shots.

The best I can manage here is to try to come up to code.
Motor Carrier just grounded our dually flat bed for not having its inter-state trucking DOT tracking number installed.....

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

Yep, we've had our share of problems too with DOT and our box trucks. Those boys don't mess around. The rest of the stuff has been easy. The city likes us and let's us pretty much do what we want and leaves us be :) we're an asset to the community!

When we moved to our new location a few months ago we needed a place to store vinyl that was economical and effective because we drained our resources on renovations and our budget toward the end was pretty limited. I came up with this system that cost us about $300 to build and holds up to 96 24" x 10 yard rolls of vinyl. I used 8 bars of 14 gauge strut channel http://menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/strut-supports/strut-channel-14-gauge-green-10/p-1628654-c-12477.htm and sanded and painted them black with rustoleum appliance enamel. I screwed 2x4 studs into the floor and ceiling and then drilled and bolted the channel to the studs and spaced the channels approximately 26" apart. We bought 96 1/4" steel rods cut to 30 inches long and painted them with rustoleum. The rods slip through the very large oval slots in the channels to support the rolls of vinyl. The oval slots are spaced every two inches so the slightly less than 4" rolls of vinyl fit perfectly with little space to spare. Customers can see it from our showroom space so it's an attractive way to show off our inventory. To dress it up I had 4 pieces of 1/16" diamond plate aluminum cut and I applied them to the channels with double sided foam tape. Then I made the Oracal signs from cut vinyl on foam board and attached the foam board to the aluminum with velcro pads so if we ever want to change out the graphics we can change them easily. So far they are working out very well and I love how they take up little space and look attractive as well as functional. The racks, however, are full and I have a slight overflow of vinyl that stays in boxes off in the corner. Eventually, we will probably have to add two more sections and then I think we will have more than adequate storage.

Attachments

• SSPX0012.jpg
    SSPX0012.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 376
Thanks, Sign Maniac! I like yours too. It looks like another efficient way to keep rolls nice and tidy. Did you notice my awesome step stool, a.k.a. generic folding chair? Building a quality step stool will be my next project...hopefully before I break my neck.

IGD

both of yall have awsome looking shops, one day i hope i can have a nice set up like yall