• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Storage

RedlineGraphics14

Hey everyone, so I've been in my new shop for about a month now and finally getting settled in and trying to organize better some stuff. I am wondering how everyone stores there vinyls, I am building a wall rack, but it only holds 9 rolls. Most of my cut vinyl is 30" rolls so I can easily fit 2 racks next to each other but how is everyone storing larger rolls. I have a ton of 54" rolls laying around that are starting to get wrecked from standing in the corner. Also on a side note, does anyone else end up with a ton of laminate rolls with like 10 feet or less on them and if so what do you do with them. I do a lot of stuff for one night events so some things are laminated and others not, and it seems like I always end up with some leftover. Are people just throwing these away?

Dizimoto

IMG_0981.JPG

We stand up all of our print media and laminate, using the plastic plugs that come with the rolls to help keep them standing upright. We then cover them with plastic sleeves to keep dust away.

For colored vinyl, we built a rack using strut channels and 1/4" steel rod. We painted everything black to make it look more attractive. We have 4 racks that go from floor to ceiling and they hold a total of 96 rolls of vinyl. I think the racks cost a total of $300.00 and took maybe 4-6 hours to built, including the time to paint the struts and the 96 pieces of 30" steel rod.

Attachments

• 20171113_130324.jpg
    20171113_130324.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 747
  • 20171113_130337.jpg
    20171113_130337.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 728

papabud

Lone Wolf
i keep the 4 rolls of various print media i use standing up next to the printer. same with the 3 rolls of laminate. anything left that isnt enough to try to reload into a machine just gets tossed. my colored vinyl is on a stand up rack thingy. and still boxed media is on a big shelf. i keep about 4 to 8 rolls of my print vinyl on that shelf at any given time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We stand up all of our print media and laminate, using the plastic plugs that come with the rolls to help keep them standing upright. We then cover them with plastic sleeves to keep dust away.

For colored vinyl, we built a rack using strut channels and 1/4" steel rod. We painted everything black to make it look more attractive. We have 4 racks that go from floor to ceiling and they hold a total of 96 rolls of vinyl. I think the racks cost a total of $300.00 and took maybe 4-6 hours to built, including the time to paint the struts and the 96 pieces of 30" steel rod.

I see a pink roll outta place ! ! ! ! ! :eek:

I see a pink roll outta place ! ! ! ! ! :eek:

About once a year I try to reorganize everything and put colors in some sort of order just for aesthetics, but it doesn't stay that way for long. New rolls get introduced, old rolls get tossed, and it's a fair amount of work to relocate several rolls just to make room for one new roll.

boxerbay

I gave up a long time ago trying to stock every color under the rainbow. We only keep black, white, and red in 24" rolls. Everything else I order what I need by the yard. I bill the client for all materials. any scraps are paid so if they end up in garbage no loss. If I can use them bingo house freebie. The scraps we roll onto a single roll and put a post it note on the outside telling whats in the roll.

ams

I use those plastic end cap things that comes on the end of the rolls, mine stand up on the floor.

RedlineGraphics14

This is what I came up with for myself, I think this should work well, just need to make about 4 more. I try to keep some of the more popular colors in big rolls, and for print vinyl I have a bunch of different stuff in stock, I always try to have 1 or 2 rolls of 40c, translucent, a clear, and then a gloss and matte lam as well. I think it's time to clean house and throw away all these rolls with 10 feet or less on them. I try to keep one around in case my friends want some freebie stuff, they seem to love printing random stuff from time to time. o_O

Attachments

• 20171113_161418.jpg
    20171113_161418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 688

2B

We build our own roll around carts, as well.

we did the same thing with our core plugs, mounting it to wood for a strong foundation.
only issue is if you want a roll that is the middle and there are other rolls around it

RedlineGraphics14

If I had the floor space making rolling racks isn't a bad idea, also for I know what you mean by if you have a roll in the middle it sucks to get to, but whats wrong with making smaller racks or say 4-6 rolls, then it eliminates the problem of having to get a roll from the middle. As soon as my shop is fully set up I will post some pictures. Is there a thread where people post shop pics?

550rider

We are swamped so the place is a mess, but here is mine. By the way, my coworker is color blind - yes I know - so we label the rolls so it is easier to grab the right roll. And yes, I broke one of the pipes off yesterday! Bummed! But inventory is at the end of the month and I will have some time to replace it. There once was a time when I had 3 rolls of evening blue because I could not see through the mess. This is a real big help.

GetFileAttachment
GetFileAttachment

HandsomeBob

Taking up wall space was not an option in my first shop, so I build this. Each section holds 20+ rolls.

The rolls in front can be pulled directly into the plotter without having to be taken off the rack.

Having so many rolls on the wall with so many colors only means that you have too much vinyl.

Years ago I went to an auction for a graphics company that had three rooms with wall racks floor to ceiling. The rooms were dedicated to colors and all their shades. Most were barely touched 50 yard rolls. I bought all three rooms for less than 2500.00. All that vinyl was one of the reasons they went bankrupt.

Attachments

• 2017-11-14 06.13.08.jpg
    2017-11-14 06.13.08.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 660
We have a bunch of 54" rolls of print media lined up against a wall. I kept bumping into them (limited space behind printer) and knocking them over, so I came up with a design to prevent having them fall. I screwed a length of slotted angle iron to the wall, then hooked chains to it. At the other end are short pieces of 2" pvc pipe with an end cap (with screw eye fastened to it) glued to the ends. I drop the pvc into the end of each roll, and if I bump them they don't go anywhere. You can use this with any width rolls, and you can move the chains anywhere along the angle iron to suit your needs. Haven't had rolls fall over yet, even with my big b**t.

CL Visual

For the left over laminate rolls, I recently got a Roll-X table. I knew I was getting it so I saved all my roll ends. I've been using them as needed on the table. Since there is no set up or waste, I bet I saved about $500 in lamination that would have gone in the garbage and I've only had it for a month.

Brands Imaging

sorry for the old bump but I think these racks look pretty good - we have TONS of rolls everywhere and we're moving and could use better organization. Do you have any more photos of them/ maybe the feet?

GB2

Old Member
Here's what we did for wall racks to store 15", 24" or 30" rolls. It all hangs from the top track no problem and you can make it any size or change it up any time you want.