• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Truck & Sign Transportation

Dirtbag

Feels like a pretty elementary question, but any tips on sign transportation with a pickup? Currently running with a 6' bed which makes 8' boards quite a pain... Is a camper shell my best option?

Any input is appreciated!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Build a ladder rack.
Overhang the cab in the front and about a foot or so out over the rear bumper (check local laws for how far a load can hang out the back before getting a ticket).
I built mine so the feet sit on the floor of the bed and use turn buckles to the tie down points so it can easily be installed and removed with no holes in the bed.
It is 12 feet long and 4 feet wide. built from 1.5 x 1.5 heavy wall galvanized square tube and flatbar.
We carry 16" - 18" signs without issue (no freeways here) with my Toyota pick up.
When it is out of the truck it can be used as a table or work platform with some plywood laid on top.
It's not pretty (about 20 some years old) but the truck it sits in is even uglier....

wayne k
guam usa

Dirtbag

Is this the only way to go? I will have to look into welding a ladder rack... In the mean time, any other options? SNUGTOP is much prettier IMHO but I'm all ears!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Is this the only way to go? I will have to look into welding a ladder rack... In the mean time, any other options? SNUGTOP is much prettier IMHO but I'm all ears!

Caps are nice but not cheap.
Also once a cap is down it is a bit of work to remove it to carry something taller than the cap.
We are a Leer dealer here on island.
They offer a commercial aluminum cap that can be set up with all kinds of toolbox storage and ladder racking for the top.
http://www.leer.com/dcc
Their fiberglass caps are a little more sexy if you are trying not to look like Joe the plumber.

Another option is a trailer, this would be a nice size to start with:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sport-Star-5-ft-x-9-ft-2WG-Trailer-Kit-with-Rear-Gate-NS2WG/204187347
If you have a place to store it when it's not needed.

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

THEY STILL MAKE 8 foot bed pickups............and when the tail gate is down its now 10 FOOT...........

Attachments

• 8FTpick-up-.jpg
    8FTpick-up-.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 87

neil_se

2550x1750mm aluminium tray with ladder racks & removable rack off front nudge bar :)

Attachments

• 23437280346_3df80813d3_z.jpg
    23437280346_3df80813d3_z.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 86

Dirtbag

THEY STILL MAKE 8 foot bed pickups............and when the tail gate is down its now 10 FOOT...........

Lol thank you! I will keep this in mind as the year finishes out in case I need a huge write off!

i appreciate all the info and opinions so far everyone!

Signed Out

Put an 8' or 10' pallet in the bed with the tailgate up. I usually lay some cardboard down, put you sign on top of that and then a couple pieces of scrap coro where I'll strap it all in. Works good but then you have no place really to put any ladders. Have also used 2 ladders as the pallet with a piece of plywood laid on top of the ladders.

Billct2

We have an extended cab F150 with 8' bed. A full size ladder rack that extends over the roof. We have top mount tool boxes. This has worked well.

2B

Put an 8' or 10' pallet in the bed with the tailgate up. I usually lay some cardboard down, put you sign on top of that and then a couple pieces of scrap coro where I'll strap it all in. Works good but then you have no place really to put any ladders. Have also used 2 ladders as the pallet with a piece of plywood laid on top of the ladders.

we use this method a lot, instead of plywood, we usually use a sheet of cor-plast since it is lighter and smoother surface

for the future we are looking to get a full length rack that will take a 60" x 120" sheet of material

attachment.php

Attachments

• high-speed-welding-236_800x600.jpg
    high-speed-welding-236_800x600.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 344