• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop vehicle question (commercial tag/USDOT#)

joelswork

Hey guys...just Joel the installer here! I travel the country installing door hours, artwork, and a bit of this and that for a few large clients. I've never plated commercial but thought I should, after looking into it and changing vehicles. I now have a 1 ton cargo van and have been receiving most of my shipments at my office and taking off to whatever state they need to be installed in.

I need to know if I need a usdot# because I'm going state to state :banghead:.

Do I need a log book :banghead:?

Do I have to stop on the scales :banghead:?

Hoping one of you guys/gals might know.

Thanks,

Joel

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
In Michigan, anything one ton and over need DOT numbers.

But more importantly, make sure you have a commercial insurance policy on the vehicle. If you letter it up with your business name and were ever to get in an accident and get sued, your insurance company could deny coverage because you were conducting business under a personal policy. This is a very gray area if the vehicle has not been lettered, but once the name goes on, it's a whole new ball game.

I was pleasantly surprised that a commercial policy on my truck was actually less than personal coverage.

joelswork

My father-in-law has a horse ranch in michigan....everything needs tags and dot#s up there :)

Commercial insurance is cheaper down here too! Just confussed on the other stuff (tags are just about $25 higher)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
The DOT registration wil obviously cost you something. Check with your DMV to be sure about the other details. They'll know everything that needs to be done.

joelswork

DOT #s are free, check! But am I gonna have to adhere to all the driver limits on how far/many hours I can drive.....and those dang scales....????????????????

Pat Whatley

That's gonna vary state to state. Alabama doesn't require it and I've heard that if you do stop they get pissed because the light weight of the van screws up the scales and they have to stop and recalibrate.