• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ShopSabre vs Camaster

signman315

Signmaker
Hello to all the fine folks here at Signs101! I'm looking for advice on ShopSabre machines vs Camaster....here's a little background...

I've ran a Gerber Sabre 408 for over 10 years and just recently moved to a new sign shop without any CNC routers. We are a small shop but serve multiple national accounts with a growing need for a CNC. Our 4 person team outputs nearly a million dollars in gross annual sales and we love what we do. And we are steadily growing. Space is limited and we don't want to convert to 3 phase electric. So we are in the market for a 4' x 4' unit that will primarily be cutting ACM, PVC, Acrylic, and the like. I don't need an ATC or optical registration (i.e. optiscout) but I would changes tools manually once or twice a week. And I wouldn't mind the option to upgrade to optical registration in the future as we do have a HP FB550...but for now we are keeping budget at a minimum (just spent over $100,000 in equipment). And I have no problem lining up digital prints for CNC cutting without digital registration because that's how I used to do it on the 408 with great success and actually just as fast using an in house pin registration system. But anyway I've researched the hell out of various machines and actually went to ISA earlier this year and viewed a ShopSabre and really liked it. And before I make the purchase I will go to a live demo of a Camaster. So my question is if anyone here has real-world production experience with either or both and if you prefer one over the other. Both are similar price points for the class of machine I'm interested in, and right now the only reason I'm leaning towards Camaster is because they seem to have been around a longer time than ShopSabre. Ballpark budget is $20,000 but is flexible if we find the right machine. But I figured I would see what people have to say here....thank you!

Martin Denton

Why not get a second user machine if you are tight on budget and get some extra bells and whistles for the same money or save a bit?

fixtureman

I think that ShopSabre has been around for about the same time if not longer then Camaster. Both are nice machines but I like that ShopSabre seems to have more of the higher end machines. Camaster caters to the home hobbyist with small foot print machines. They may have a lot of cnc out there but I would say that 3 out of 4 are int the 2x3 range

Sandman

As a sign shop I would never consider a router with less than 4x8 capacity. I cannot help you with the brands you're interested in as I have an EZ Router. Just chiming in with the size idea.

signman315

Signmaker
As a sign shop I would never consider a router with less than 4x8 capacity. I cannot help you with the brands you're interested in as I have an EZ Router. Just chiming in with the size idea.
I actually agree but in my case it’s a space issue and I have the jobs knocking at my door that could allow a small machine to quickly pay for itself...my hope is to move to a new building in a couple years at which point I’d be considering something larger...thanks to everyone for all the replies!

signman315

Signmaker
I think that ShopSabre has been around for about the same time if not longer then Camaster. Both are nice machines but I like that ShopSabre seems to have more of the higher end machines. Camaster caters to the home hobbyist with small foot print machines. They may have a lot of cnc out there but I would say that 3 out of 4 are int the 2x3 range
I saw ShopSabre at ISA and it was very solid build and a knowledgeable crew too. But I haven’t had that direct contact with Camaster, I’ve only heard that they are a good machine as well...I’m glad to hear that ShopSabre has been around as long. I’m leaning towards them at this point, thanks for the help!

spectrum maine

i bought a lightly used (very) techno 5 by 10 with vacuum hold down full computer w/ enroute software phase converter, software, & a ton of bits for 21k. it was like brand new. also came with a decent dust collector. look around & never buy less than 4 by 8. otherwise you have to cut a sheet just to "cut a sheet"

signman315

Signmaker
i bought a lightly used (very) techno 5 by 10 with vacuum hold down full computer w/ enroute software phase converter, software, & a ton of bits for 21k. it was like brand new. also came with a decent dust collector. look around & never buy less than 4 by 8. otherwise you have to cut a sheet just to "cut a sheet"

I understand that and completely agree, but per my original post it's not in the business plan right now as we don't have the physical space for anything larger than a 4' x 4' bed. I've ran larger machines for over 10 years and of course would prefer that. Really I'd like a 5'x10' Zund with all the toppings haha!. But I'm just working within the constraints of my existing facility and plans to move to a new building are in the next few years...I need a machine to bridge the gap between now and when I have the physical space for a larger machine because I have work knocking at my door that could be fulfilled with a 4' x 4' and it will pay for itself within 12 months. Mostly looking to get feedback from folks that have real-world experience operating either the ShopSabre or Camaster machines and what their experiences are. Thanks for all the replies!

signman315

Signmaker
Did you call on any of the references SS provided?
Hi Johnny,

I've talked with Brandon at Camaster and Grant at ShopSabre, both have been great and that's actually my hang up. I've also spoken directly to a couple of SS references, including a guy by the name of Tim. Tim owns one and he can't speak highly enough about them, his only minor complaint was a delay in shipping that he admitted was his own fault...he used his own shipper and not SS recommendation which caused a delay. But I can't find much of an advantage of one over the other either in machine or in customer service...

johnnysigns

If you're still undecided I'd ask to get some sample cut from both machines before purchasing. I thought with SS that meant you'd have to get a customer of theirs to do that for you, but I could be wrong. I've been pricing several 5x10 based CNCs for the last year and for what SS is charging, it almost seems to good to be true. I say that specifically because competing machines I'm looking at are $20-30K more for what looks like is an apples to apples comparison. Without trying to overthink the purchase they're still at the top of my list of machines for strictly spindle cutting w/ a small tool changer.

signman315

Signmaker
If you're still undecided I'd ask to get some sample cut from both machines before purchasing. I thought with SS that meant you'd have to get a customer of theirs to do that for you, but I could be wrong. I've been pricing several 5x10 based CNCs for the last year and for what SS is charging, it almost seems to good to be true. I say that specifically because competing machines I'm looking at are $20-30K more for what looks like is an apples to apples comparison. Without trying to overthink the purchase they're still at the top of my list of machines for strictly spindle cutting w/ a small tool changer.
I hear ya, SS seems to have a kick ass price for some solid units...like you said seems too good to be true! I keep wondering what I'm missing. Thanks for the input!

TomNJ

I'm going through the same process and landed on SS & CAMaster. After further research, I've decided on CAMaster. I don't want to post anything too negative but SS comes off like used car salesman willing to say anything, often inaccurate and downright wrong in order to sell their machines. Just be careful.

I just recently purchased the Shopsabre IS510. The machine is TOP NOTCH and so is their tech support! We have two other cnc s and after running the Shopsabre I think we'll be selling the other two. I spent many months deciding the right fit for us while also looking at the Camaster and Laguna.
Our experience from day one with Shopsabre been nothing short of excellence!