• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ShopVox Refuses to knowledge QBO updates, and blames me for the connection not working.

fresh

For the past 2 weeks, I've been trying to set up ShopVOX with a brand new Quickbooks Online Plus account. In October 2017, QBO changed how sales tax works for their customers (not for the better, but I'll talk about that later.)

I have spent over 6 hours with QBO on the phone, at least 2 hours with my accountant, and a few hours with Santosh (and others) at shopvox dealing with this issue. If you use QBO and SV, you know there is a long tutorial on how to make sure everything is set up correctly. My entire account was set up by me, and was verified by ShopVox to be correct (with the exception of sales tax). After Santosh couldn't figure out how the new sales tax is being named, he blamed me for the problem and told me I set it up wrong. He told me to contact Quickbooks AGAIN because its my fault. This is after I had shared my screen with him for half an hour, and watched him go around in circles trying the same things he tried last week. And the same things I explicitly told him quickbooks said do not work.

When I got angry at him passing the buck back to me yet again, and wrote a response in all caps, he told me I was being unprofessional and that I now needed to email them for support, he wasn't going to help anymore.

TL/DR: Quickbooks Online has updated how they do sales tax, ShopVox is refusing to acknowledge this change and is making me waste hours and hours running around in circles. And the two programs are still not connected.

On a side note, who has switched from shopvox to another product? I'm done dealing with these problems.

fresh

Quickbooks had a brilliant idea to lock anything related to sales tax. You can only use their drop down list of rates and agencies, and you can't edit anything. They did this to make sales tax "easier" but, in reality, its a huge problem for many people and I hope they at least give you the option to run your books the way you want.

They also removed the sales tax center from all new accounts. So if you started on QBO before Oct 2017, youre fine.

CL Visual

I've had QBO for a few years but I still have the sales tax center and I can still create and modify existing sales tax accounts. That really sucks about the new accounts.

vincesigns

Honestly, I have never heard that people have a great experience with any business management programs working well with Quick Books. We tried connecting CASper to Quick Books back in 2004. We gave up after a ton of communication issues and have never looked back. We use ShopVox to manage orders, production, invoices, AR and PO's. We use Quick Books to keep track of cash, AP, Payroll, Taxes and Payroll Liabilities. This has worked great for us for 12+ years

SignVOX

Merchant Member
Hi fresh
I am sorry we could not get that fixed faster, but unfortunately you are the first one to report this issue.
As we mentioned and communicated with you after you reported that we did some research and told you this needs to be fixed and we will fix it as QBO changed how taxes are done.
We did a quick research to see if this can be fixed quickly and it is not a simple fix, so needs more time.
With the holidays and staff taking time off, I already promised to you this will be fixed in the first two weeks in January.
We have to fix it for all of our future customers any way, so we will fix this, just timing has been bad, you are the first one (unfortunately for you) and holiday to get it done.
I hope this provides insight into the problem and the proposed solution.

Happy Holidays!

fresh

UPDATE:

ShopVox repaired the connection to QuickBooks, and even called me directly to check that it works properly. I'm happy to report that all issues were resolved. I was the first person to report the issue and it was just very bad timing for everyone because of the holidays. But its all fixed now. :)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
UPDATE:

ShopVox repaired the connection to QuickBooks, and even called me directly to check that it works properly. I'm happy to report that all issues were resolved. I was the first person to report the issue and it was just very bad timing for everyone because of the holidays. But its all fixed now. :)

Can you share where the disconnect was so others may be on the lookout?

fresh

Can you share where the disconnect was so others may be on the lookout?

Sure. Quickbooks updated their online software in October 2017. This update made it impossible to link ShopVox. There is a long tutorial on SV explaining how to set everything up. When QB updated, some of the steps in the tutorial were impossible to complete because a few important functions were disabled.

ShopVox needed to get the updated code/protocalls/whatever you call it in order to allow the connection between the two programs. Which they did. Everything now works as advertised.

I'm not sure if SV is keeping both tutorials active, because I think they probably need both... If you have a QB account that was activated prior to Oct2017, the set up didn't change. They didn't remove functions from existing accounts. Its only for people who started after Oct 2017 that the set up is different. Does that make sense?