• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I get a CJV130?

tomlar1977

Hi all!

Next week I'll be having a demo of a CJV130, as I'm planning to upgrade my hobby business to also print and cut decals, labels for beer, wine etc. (right now I "just" have a Graphtec CE5000-60 vinyl cutter). The reason for looking into Mimaki is that it seems very reasonable in pricing, and the tests I've seen are really good :)

My questions for you guys would then be - should I get one of these, or are there any alternatives? Speed will never be an issue, since I'm not in the need of printing 100 sqm per day, I go for quality rather than speed! Maybe I should tell that here in Denmark, I've been offered a CJV130-107 for roughly 10.500 USD, including a full set of inks and installation & training.

Also, are the white and metallic inks usefull, or would they just soak my wallet, because they need to be used more or less every day (sellers words)?

Thanks in advance!

/Tommy

player

From what I read here, the specialty inks are very very expensive and wasteful if not used all the time.

You can get sparkly if you print on sparkle vinyl. White is cool but rarely needed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If ya have the money and don't wanna shop around or go to various dealerships and get results from other units, then heck yeah..... go buy it this afternoon. What's holding you back ??

As you mentioned, it's a hobby for you, so other than cost, it doesn't really matter what any professional here thinks.

rjssigns

Here is what you need to ask yourself before buying.

Is the dealer in your town or two days away? Printers break, and usually at the worst possible time.

Does the dealer have a solid reputation? If not look elsewhere.

Is the technician at the dealer capable of fixing every problem the first time? Nothing worse than have to pay for repeated call outs.

Does the dealer stock all consumables?

Even if it costs more, buy local from a reputable dealer.

bilge

Hi all!

Next week I'll be having a demo of a CJV130, as I'm planning to upgrade my hobby business to also print and cut decals, labels for beer, wine etc.

I'm surprised to your intention for printing labels for beer, wine by CVJ series. No any eco sol printer compete with offset printing in terms of quality and price unless under 100 pieces.

Avoid any printer with Epson printheads. I was passing through several brands with DX4, DX5, DX7 and TPF (aka DX10).
This printer works fine in the beginning if you're using only original inks. Then after few months it will show you various tricks.
The price should be fine, because CJV series made in China. Double check it.

I've read that you want to upgrade your hobby to real business. If so spend a little more time and read at least the titles of this forum. About Roland, Mimaki, Mutoh printhead problems written almost every single day.

If more serious, buy a ticket to SGIA show on 14th September to see all brands together. If you can't, IMO you'd better to order samples of Roland TrueVis VG54. Also Summa office in Europe is in Belgium close to you. If you want only quality and cost is not an issue then look at Summa DC5. It is thermal printer capable of printing metallic, gold and white at very high quality.

Do more search, don't rely on a tech too much. Most of them rip-off masters.

31legen

Cjv30

Ive been running a cjv30 for 3 years without any issues. Its a very solid printer. Ive never had an issue that i could not resolve by myself. There are better plotters out there but it gets the job done. Stay away from aftermarket inks. Use only mimaki inks. Ive tried others and it only resulted in headaches and clogged nozzles. Make sure your printer has the latest firmware. The last update helped correct any banding issues. Its a very easy printer to operate and will give you great results.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
........Avoid any printer with Epson printheads. ......................of Roland TrueVis VG54.

I think by far - and everyone should already know this quite well, is that the far majority of people with machines using Epson heads have no problems. They are busy working, not posting about how great they think their Epson heads are. Of course since so many machines have been based on the very very well proven Epson heads the ones that do have a problem are of course the most obvious since they are going to go online to hopefully find a solution to their problems. More often than not, its not a problem with the head unless its just worn out or the machine has been allowed to sit and dry out. That will also of course tend to be a problem with any brand/type of inkjet print head. They will all eventually wear out and most will also clog if left to sit and dry out with ink left in them. Do I think Epson heads are the best in the world, no not necessarily but they are excellent. However Epson does things to raise the costs of them (locking the heads to certain machine sizes and locking them to machines with Epson firmware) while making the unlocked OEM versions much more expensive to buy. That however used to not be the case though - the Chinese started buying tens of thousands of Epson desktop printers and scrapping them just to get the print heads. Like most all desktop size printer makers Epson subsidizes the cost of producing the desktop printers with expected future sales of ink and therefore sells the printers are a loss.

Regardless - while the new Roland VG-540 and VG-640 TruVis models might produce excellent quality prints that is a brand new print head that Roland will not name the manufacturer of. So you are suggesting one would be smarter to buy a machine with an unproven, unknown print head, that you cannot get a replecent for anywhere except from Roland. You cannot even find out the cost to replace one of those 4 new unknown heads. So if you do have a problem you will definitely not have the amazingly deep wealth of resources and knowledge online since no one knows anything about those new heads since they are brand new and unknown who even makes them. Or of you did go with a machine using Epson head - the resources online for information about them is immense since they are very well proven and have been in use for such a long time.

Again - I'm not specifically saying a machine with Epson heads is the absolute best option. I'm just saying that it seems to be a bit reckless to suggest that something totally new that has never been used for years on end without problems might be a better and more reliable solution.

I do agree that a thermal transfer machine like the Summa DC (Gerber Edge also nice but very expensive and small print width) might be the best option for what the OP says they do.

bilge

Regardless - while the new Roland VG-540 and VG-640 TruVis models might produce excellent quality prints that is a brand new print head that Roland will not name the manufacturer of. So you are suggesting one would be smarter to buy a machine with an unproven, unknown print head, that you cannot get a replecent for anywhere except from Roland. You cannot even find out the cost to replace one of those 4 new unknown heads. So if you do have a problem you will definitely not have the amazingly deep wealth of resources and knowledge online since no one knows anything about those new heads since they are brand new and unknown who even makes them. Or of you did go with a machine using Epson head - the resources online for information about them is immense since they are very well proven and have been in use for such a long time.

Again - I'm not specifically saying a machine with Epson heads is the absolute best option. I'm just saying that it seems to be a bit reckless to suggest that something totally new that has never been used for years on end without problems might be a better and more reliable solution.

Sir, I did't say Epson printhead is bad or worst. Print quality is the best maybe, but in terms of price, speed and ink delivery systems highly doubtful. When HP latex introduced in the market, thousands of users switched to. I've read on Frank's comment that 40 -50 % of new printers sold in Europe now in this segment are HP L300 series. But I didn't mention about HP latex, because it is not well suited for his intended job.
Roland is now using this "unknown" printhead. Why all those people escaping from Epsonprinthead?
I think, Roland is never announcing the manufacturer of its printhead. Maybe the company policy. I've had Roland PC600 thermalprinter 16 years ago and replaced the PH after 3 years. I still don't know the OEM-er.

TrueVis VG has 4 pieces of Ricoh GH2220 PH. Ricoh claims it is result of over 10 years of research and development. Since this PH appears on the market about 2 years ago thousands of chinese printer with this PH being sold. I still didn't find any bad thing about this PH yet. (only good things, sometimes I feel too good to be true)
This printhead sold through its distributors freely (if someone wants control board also sold) and it's not programmed differently for each brand printers like Epson did.

Even it's sold only by Roland, it's not a big deal. Once when I needed to replace my Roland's DX7, the chinese distributor's out of stock. Then I contacted to distributors of Japan, Russia and Singapore but none of them sell the PH to me. Simply said to get from where the printer's bought. I found it from Sign-in-China at $1600 (distributor price was $2400). Ricoh GH2220 is available in there at $526.

Ricoh also claims that the lifespan of this PH is 30 bln shots. If it is true then 5 times longer than Epson.
I was often needed to replace Roland's PH, always yellow channel reached just over 6 bln shots then it's gone. But C and M have 4 bln, blacks just over 2bln. If it was Ricoh like 4 separate printheads I just replace only yellow at $500 (instead of $2000) and use rest of them till the end.
Even though I didn't convince him to buy VG, suggest just get a samples including SUMMA DC and compare those 3 prints . He may stick on the bottle, pour some wine on it, scratch and peel off, how it stands against alcohol. If he likes one of them then the relevant rep might provide further details better than you and me.

Roland says VG is the Future of the print&cut, if the future is here why he should fall into "the past".
At last maybe he just needed color laser printer capable of printing on self adhesive papers. Who knows.