• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

should i quit?

dirtdog

hello everyone,
first off,after reading alot of the threads on here im wondering if i should just sell my sign equipment and quit.i feel ashamed to be a newbie in the sign business.well here is a lil about me and why im here.after being self employed in commercial refrigeration,heating and cooling business for about 10 years i was tired of being on call 24/7.i needed to do something to slowly get away from it.i purchased a junk plotter to see if it was something i would really enjoy, and set down to figure it out.as it turns out i really do enjoy it(glad i got the cheap chinese junk you guys hate us for,cause now im ready for a good printer/cutter)i stumbled across this web site looking for answers,and it is a wealth of knowledge.i hope someday to do such nice looking stuff as most of you do.i enjoy designing,i like to use my head a lil.i can prolly save you alot of money just PMing when your furnace or a.c. quits working.have a nice day!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you asking if you should quit the Heating and Air Conditioning business or the Sign business. It sounds like you want to quit the H & A/C business, but you go on to ask if you should sell your sign equipment. I'm all befuddled.... Can you ask this one again because it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking for justifications. Do you intend to stay in the sign business ??

No shame in being a newbie.... just being a stupid one. If you have the responsibility to be on call 24/7 for 10 years.... you have more than what it takes to be in any business. As is often said..... you have to start somewhere and as long as you have a passion and desire to better yourself... well, :Welcome: to the Wonderful World of Signs !!

RebeckaR

Hang in there.
Learn design.
Charge what your work is worth.

Stay here and weed through the BS and you'll be just fine. I was quite surprised to find out how many people started out just the way you have with no art or sign background. Some still work from home, some are still just part time for the extra income.

Develop a thick skin and ask questions. That's how you learn.

luggnut

everybody starts somewhere... do you have design skills, biz skills , sales skills etc...
all these things are important but you don't have to be the best ever .. you can be successful but it is not a get rich quick thing at least not for most. you better really love it...i do.
some newbie bashing on this site but mostly in response to stupid questions... or making it out like anyone could do this job. that is insulting to the people who put forth the effort to learn to do it right.
if you love it and think you could make money then stick it out, lots to learn here.

Pat Whatley

No shame in being a newbie.... just being a stupid one.
:ROFLMAO:

Top answer your question, YES, you should quit. I'm not sure what you're asking about quitting but if it ain't fun then don't do it. (that's on the office wall of the richest guy I know) Now you can be on call making signs 24/7 when idiot customers call you on Thursday afternoon needing a truckload of work Friday morning and are willing to pay you to work all night.

This website is a wealth of knowledge, served up with a healthy dose of bullshit, a little sarcasm, and a dash of vindictiveness just to keep things interesting. Welcome aboard...and don't think I'm not going to PM you when my 45 year old Borg Warner monster dies this summer (like it does every summer) :thumb:

coyote

Don't be discouraged. Be open and honest, search through the posts before you ask the same question that is asked several times a day, and don't tell us that you want to do your own work so you can avoid paying a professional. :)

This is a crusty, but talented bunch with an accumulated wealth of knowledge. Since you know how to work hard, you should be ok-we work hard too and get feisty when people assume that our profession is an easy way to make big bucks.

Good luck. After the mega thread, hope this is more reasonable.
C

zmatalucci

seems as though your lacking self confidence. You had better toughen up or your customers will walk all over you.

dirtdog

seems as though your lacking self confidence. You had better toughen up or your customers will walk all over you.

never a lack of confidence here.well except for the first time i opened up illy with never even seeing anything more than microsoft word,lol.

Doug Pulver

Hello and Welcome. It sounds like you really enjoy this because you're talking about purchasing some new equipment. I say if you really enjoy this than stick with it, learn all you can and feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of talented people here.

GB2

Old Member
Being self employed in commercial refrigeration, heating and cooling business for about 10years is a good business, which should be fairly resistent to a bad economy as failure of those systems cannot be tolerated. 10 years is a good start where you should be fairly proficient at what you do, now is the time to focus on your business and abilities, stick with it and don't be distracted by dream ventures.

Signalaugh

`Do both. You may need the money to build your sign business. Take courses in business development in your spare time. People aren't going to call you to buy signs (at least when you start).
Keep working your sign business. Hire an apprentice to do your evening and weekend work when the money starts getting better. Pay him/her to do the work you don't like and then supervise during the day by signing off their work.
Buy a better piece of equipment with cash.
Sub out design work until you are better and get better educated.
Keep moving forward. Never let your first or second business go.

BobM

I did somewhat the same thing you're comtemplating. I closed a business but kept the truck lettering piece. I don't regret the move for a minute. Go for it, know your costs, get a fair return on your investment and time and have fun. You will get a lot of information and support on Signs 101. I hope you enjoy your new career as much as I am.

Jillbeans

I for one would rather make signs any day than work on a furnace so I say go for it.
Sounds like you have a decent chance to me.
Rebecka R said exactly what I'd say, only better.
Love....Jill

Kottwitz-Graphics

This website is a wealth of knowledge, served up with a healthy dose of bullshit, a little sarcasm, and a dash of vindictiveness just to keep things interesting.

A lot of times, because at least once a week, we hear about some schmuck doesn't want to pay a couple of hundred bucks for some truck lettering / race car lettering / sign, and figures that he can buy some EBAY pos chinese plotter, and do it himself. And they show up here hoping that someone will tell them how to fix the design becasue they have all caps old english with a brush script tag line.

Yes, you have to start somewhere, but do it right. Purchase, read, and live by a library. Get the Mike Stevens layout book, get both of Dan Antonelli's books, subscribe to Sign Craft, (as well as this forum). Read everything you can, and soon you will develop your own "style".

:peace!:

dirtdog

Yes, you have to start somewhere, but do it right. Purchase, read, and live by a library. Get the Mike Stevens layout book, get both of Dan Antonelli's books, subscribe to Sign Craft, (as well as this forum). Read everything you can, and soon you will develop your own "style".

:peace!:[/quote]

thats the type of info im talking about.i dont know who mike stevens,or dan anotonellis are,but i will.im not thinking of quitting this at all,it was just a way to get my point across without being an a-hole.i will figure it out in time,a long time.we live in a town of about 5000 people,and you have to drive over an hour to get some expierence in a sign shop.im excited after i see the stuff you guys do,it drives me more.thanks for the help folks.

dirtdog

I for one would rather make signs any day than work on a furnace so I say go for it.
Sounds like you have a decent chance to me.
Rebecka R said exactly what I'd say, only better.
Love....Jill

jill beans,ive read alot of your responses.it seems to me when people ask for advice,most of the other members agree with the changes you say to make.just something ive noticed.so one day i get brave enough to put something on here,and you say it looks like sh!t,it prolly does,lol.

jscarl

Try to pick up a recent copy of Adobe Illi, Coral, Photo shop. And watch the tutorials, ask questions on here, AND MOST OF ALL, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.:Welcome: from mid Michigan.