• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I sell my Gerber setup?

daenterpri

This last spring I bought my Gerber Edge 2 and Envision plotter. It was a great upgrade to just doing cut vinyl with my Copam 2500. In the last month, I've upgraded to a Summa D140 cutter, and a Mutoh Falcon Printer. Now I'm wondering if I need to keep Gerber setup.

Since I've had the new printer/plotter, I haven't even touched my Gerber Edge or Envision plotter. I can't really see where I would need to. I know the benefits are that I can print, and not worry about laminating 24-48 hours later. But the few times that I can see that happening don't really add up to the money I could probably get from it now, to pay off the investment I've made in the bigger equipment.

Any advice on this? Should I have both for some reason? Or would it be wise to sell, and pay off my new equipment?

Thanks!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

It's always wise to own your equipment outright. The Edge was a money maker for me, but it was all necessarily smaller stuff. Let me know how much you want for it before openly advertising it if you don't mid. Will Omega software be included?

daenterpri

Ya, if I could keep it busy, I would probably keep it. It's made me money, and it's not near as high maintenance as my current printer. However, I love the quality of the graphics that Mutoh can provide.

SqueeGee

Think of it as another tool in the toolbox. When we added a JV3 several years ago, we didn't get rid of our Edge and still us it daily.

iSign

Arlo is right... you will never need it... I'll give you $20 more then he will for that worthless antique :Big Laugh

-
-
-
-
ok, ACTUALLY... I have an Edge2 and Envision & will NEVER even think of selling it.
I bought a 60" Mimaki 6 years ago, and still use the Edge AT LEAST 2 or 3 times every week... sometimes white on clear... sometimes metal foils, sometimes iron on t-shirt transfers, sometimes a quick 2 color aluminum parking sign or a bunch of decals while the printer is tied up on bigger projects...

daenterpri

Hmmmmmmmm... I'm still a small sign shop. I probably have not used my Gerber in a month and a half at least. At what point do I decide if It's worth keeping around rather than get money out of it to pay for equipment I use every day?

Arlo is right... you will never need it... I'll give you $20 more then he will for that worthless antique :Big Laugh

-
-
-
-
ok, ACTUALLY... I have an Edge2 and Envision & will NEVER even think of selling it.
I bought a 60" Mimaki 6 years ago, and still use the Edge AT LEAST 2 or 3 times every week... sometimes white on clear... sometimes metal foils, sometimes iron on t-shirt transfers, sometimes a quick 2 color aluminum parking sign or a bunch of decals while the printer is tied up on bigger projects...

TheSnowman

I have a Gerber GSP? GSX? I don't ever remember what it is now. The original 13" cutter (I believe) from 1994. It's hooked up to a 486 Packard Bell. I fire that up at least once every other week to get information from old clients off of it, or if I have to cut a crazy long stripe, I'll use it. It's the fastest computer I own! I'm keeping it around for if my JV3 takes an unexpected dump, and there's a project that I can use cut vinyl for to get me through. I'll never sell it. Plus, I don't think it'd get me enough to buy lunch with what it'd be worth!

royster13

Having a piece of equipment that is not getting used is a "marketing problem" not an "equipment problem".....If you have certain capability in your shop, you need to market it....

iSign

Having a piece of equipment that is not getting used is a "marketing problem" not an "equipment problem".....If you have certain capability in your shop, you need to market it....

I was thinking the same thing but had no idea how to say it... that is a brilliant way to say it right there...

Another comment was to get an idea what you might get for it... I've heard of the same getting dumped for under $6K... to me that would be hard to do no matter what, but i bought mine new... not sure if the OP did...

The Equipment Guy

I have watched a lot of equipment sit depreciating. If the money you would get now would do better things spent somewhere else, then I would not consider its history of making you money in the past, your business has changed. If you have the time to dedicate to finding other markets for the machine (print onto products other than white and clear, basically alternative printed products to the inkjet) you can still make money with it.

I sell them for $8500-$12,500 for the system approximately. We probably sell an Edge a month.

Craig

Tim Aucoin

The back-cutting feature alone is worth keeping it around for. Saves tons of time trimming out decals. Looks much more professional when cutting a custom cut shape out also (when you back-cut it). I'd suggest keeping it. You won't get nearly what it's worth, rather you will get a perceived value which is never enough! I'll never get rid of my Edge FX/Envision package. :noway:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
And then there are those pesky customers that you did a job for last year that want the same thing again now.

KARYN BUSH

sell it, get the cash and don't look back....ooooh for the chance you may have to print white on clear...sub it out. Don't get all sentimental with it like it has feelings ffs.
I sold my edge and plotter as soon as I got my Roland...best thing I did...got a nice seal laminator with it. This is business...if its gonna sit and collect dust get the $ now...depreciation is a downhill slope my friend.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you don't use it, sell it. No need for it to sit around doing nothing.

We have one & it runs about every day here. Personally, I think that you possibly don't know all the capabilities that the little machine/software has & that's why you don't use it that much. i love being able to edge the trans colors over reflective, then laminate & plot out just one piece to install on multi-color striping jobs.

And don't even get me started on the accuracy of the print/plot that the unit has for small printed/plotted decals.

(below) The ambulance is all edge besides the door seal, chief's car is edge printed 1 piece, the police car is all 1 piece edge...

Attachments

• junk amb.jpg
    junk amb.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 119
  • junk cop 2.jpg
    junk cop 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 109
  • junk fire.jpg
    junk fire.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 104

gabagoo

I still use mine, although not as frequently. As was said, the fact that it can print white is worth keeping it for, plus all the other special features that a cmyk printer can't achieve.
Now on the other hand you could use the money from the sale then by all means dump it!!! lol

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd sure never sell my Edge LE for that ... much less the Envision 375, software and supplies. I've got repeat customers that spend that much every month with me.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
you should not have waited this long to post you had it on ebay. you defiantly lost out on potential buyers. i would think you could get more for it.

end the auction early, start another one, and post it on here first!