Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I take this service call?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I didn't put it up and the owner doesn't know who did... it was installed less then a year ago.... Looks crazy

Tags:
  2. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    can't view video, it wants me to sign in from ipad

3. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    try it now

4. brycesteiner

brycesteiner Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Not anchored at the bottom?

Is it a frame with banner material?
    I saw a BestBuy store front sign the other day that looked like it was banner material stretched over a frame.

5. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    That's pretty scary looking.This needs to be fixed right now.
    I smell money on this one.
    These kind of jobs are fun.You don't have the to deal with the usual BS of making that sign happen.
    Quote em big BIG BIG bucks. I mean Texas size bucks.They will go for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Maybe it looks crazy if you have never built or serviced one, but it is a pretty standard looking box, face and frame. I don't get what the issue is. Put some screws back in the bottom. Or if necessary re-drill and possibly tap new holes if the others are machine screws (usually grub screws) and that is what is needed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    o_O

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SignCorp Inc.

SignCorp Inc. New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Winter Haven, FL
    Looks like a typical extruded sign with a flexible face stretched in place. Hopefully the frame has a hinge you will face so you can take out the retainers and set screws and hinge the face open and then install mechanical fasteners. Obviously important to know what the building is made of whether it’s CMU or if it’s EFIS. Obviously the installers or the same company who sold a sign to them are substandard. Could be a shift in the same from a national company they use a local installer. Once you get in bed with this you are obviously responsible so I would overdo it. 3/8” toggles in Eephus or three agents red heads or lag bolts and CMU every 4 feet. I’m in Florida so everything is engineered to very high wind loads. Seal your penetrations for water intrusion as well.

9. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX

We have an installer in our area that is just lazy... I got a service call a while back on the sign below and they only had two lags holding the whole thing up. They did NOT seal the holes so water traveled back into the plywood backing and of course it came loose. I went back and used 6 toggle bolts behind the plywood and sealed them good... I charged them out the *** for a Saturday emergency call.

0715170905.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    This is why local building officials go crazy with their codes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    They are pretty lax in the city this sign is located in. You don't need permit for anything that is less then 12" protruding from the building... just gotta run it by planning and zoning... So that means no permits for channel letters, lighted cabinets, anything on the wall as long as it's 12" or shorter in depth... It's really the only city I know of that doesn't regulate these signs and I like it that way.

If this sign falls and makes any kind of news I could just see city council meetings demanding more regulation...

12. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I thought the face was open, but on closer inspection that's the box blowing off the wall. Yes it is a wow job. Hook on with a crane, open face and prop open, lag to wall.

13. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    That is odd, but it's only a matter of time.

14. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So, no grub screws needed, now Tex is going to have to get the crane and lag it to the wall.

15. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Installed a year ago and owner doesn't have a clue?....sounds fishy to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I was just writing that exact same thought.

I think that's a portal into the 6th dimension. I'd let it alone and let the pieces fall where they fall and tell the guy to put some orange cones around. That's gonna be a disaster from many views, especially who it falls on.​

17. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Sorry, meant to say manager. Its a national chain and he said he's contacted 10 people in his company and no one knows anything

18. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Still a BS response...

19. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Correct.

With that kinda attitude, I'd report it to the codes officer immediately and wash my hands of it. You can't do anything but help get the problem rectified.

20. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I thought about it and was hoping maybe they knew who did the work... but since no permit was required that maybe they didn't. I THINK I know who did it and frankly the guy needs his *** chewed