• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should you UV laminate window perf?

VicoDrive

Im hearing mixed things about UV laminating window perf material. I hear that its difficult to laminate and that its also recommended if a wiper will be running over it. But Im also hearing its just fine without it. I dont recall ever seeing it laminated before but I dont want it to fade from the sun either. Suggestions?

JBusch260

I always laminate my window perf. It's really not that hard to do. You want the protection, trust me. Keeps it looking good, keeps it from being picked apart, etc. Use the edge seal tape as well for extra protection from peeling back.

VicoDrive

I always laminate my window perf. It's really not that hard to do. You want the protection, trust me. Keeps it looking good, keeps it from being picked apart, etc. Use the edge seal tape as well for extra protection from peeling back.

Im probably going to experiment on our delivery van. Not familiar with edge seal tape, how does that work?

JBusch260

Im probably going to experiment on our delivery van. Not familiar with edge seal tape, how does that work?

When I install window perf, I usually cut into the graphic, around the edge of the window 1/8"-1/4".. This is so that you can follow the contour and tape the edges of the graphic to the window. It's an optically clear tape that protects the window perf from dirt and grime, as well as from peeling up. Use your squeegee to really press in where the tape and the graphic edge meet for best results. I'm not sure if everybody edge seal tapes, it's just my preference. What do others think about this?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Have always laminated it with optically clear lam. Our trick for install, run about a half inch of Primer 94 around the edge of the glass. I have perf that has been in vehicles for over 5 years. While it's not in perfect condition anymore its not coming up around the edges either.

signguy37

We use quality materials!
Great idea on using Primer 94 on the perimeter of the glass... never thought of that before. We also use black 220 vinyl 3/8" to 1/2" wide around the perimeter of the graphic to seal it down. It seems to hold up better than the 8914 (? I think that's the number) optically clear edge sealing tape. Have had great success with laminating vision film with optically clear laminate on large exterior windows and sealing down the edges with black 220, however not so much success in terms of longevity on vehicle windows using the same products. The curved glass of the vehicles seems to be more challenging overall (especially rear windows on some vehicles) and the dirt, salt, grime really are brutal on the laminate. The film seems to hold up fairly well, but the top dollar optically clear lam breaks down after a year or so and really looks bad after only a couple years.

I wish there was a better product available that would last as long as the vehicle wraps do? More times than not, the vision film (mainly the laminate I guess) looks pretty tacky well before the vehicle wrap does... any secrets on a better laminate that holds up better? Brand X says "1 year warranty" and an "expected life span of 3 years". We are not getting 3 years.... 2 years tops before it is shabby. I realize vehicles take abuse in the salt/snow/humid climates. Gotta be something tougher to match the performance of the cut vinyl and printed vinyl for the rest of the vehicles that holds up decent?

MrSalumi

It seems that this question gets asked every couple months or so. I have done this both ways. Usually I will use a liquid laminate like clear shield rolled on very lightly but if the customer asks and pays for it I'll laminate with 290GF which works perfectly. You get a little stretch on bigger sections but it's usually manageable. G

Great idea on the primer though! I am going to use that!

Jackpine

Ditto!

JBusch260

Have always laminated it with optically clear lam. Our trick for install, run about a half inch of Primer 94 around the edge of the glass. I have perf that has been in vehicles for over 5 years. While it's not in perfect condition anymore its not coming up around the edges either.

Great idea! I will definitely be trying Primer 94 out.