• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Show quality

Haakon

oh and personally, if I had to do a job like this and door jambs were a necessity, I'd look into plastidip for those areas.

Because nothing says show quality like plastidipping to save some time and effort.. (what was that about being lazy?).

Just because you can post pics of supercars that are wrapped (if they are in fact wraps) does not mean that this is any more show quality than a Honda Civic wrapped in the same vinyl.

weaselboogie

I like to imagine these same arguments down at the local mall around christmas time.

Attachments

• wrappin.jpg
    wrappin.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 79

natedawg9640

nate, most of those cars you posted ARE indeed painted.

no. They are wrapped. I know the subaru driver, the lambo is wrapped in that chrome stuff with a blue laminate on top. The bugatti is done the same way as the lambo. I dont know the backstory on the bmw but it was titled as a wrap.

Because nothing says show quality like plastidipping to save some time and effort.. (what was that about being lazy?).

Just because you can post pics of supercars that are wrapped (if they are in fact wraps) does not mean that this is any more show quality than a Honda Civic wrapped in the same vinyl.

I dont have the skill/expendable resources to flawlessly apply into door jambs... so if *I* were to do it, i'd do jambs and hidden areas in PD. that way it can be touched up if they scuff it, re-coated in need be, and you never have to worry about tunneling or shrinkage. PD will last longer than a wrap from what i've seen.

I didn't post the picture BECAUSE they are supercars and that fact makes them better than some other "show" car... i just posted them cause they were clean pictures. last time i checked an STI isn't a supercar. Also... i dont see any Civic owners shelling out the cash for "SHOW QUALITY" wraps...

The whole point is that with the right amount of skill as an installer, and the right amount of cash as a buyer... a "SHOW QUALITY" wrap is an option. Don't get all butt hurt over the topic. Geeze.

Last edited:

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Tell this customer to buy a black "show quality" car in the first place and then you'll put whatever graphics he wants on it. People think color changing a car with vinyl is going to be paint perfect. They will never be happy no matter how good you hide seams or how straight your cuts are.

natedawg9640

Tell this customer to buy a black "show quality" car in the first place and then you'll put whatever graphics he wants on it. People think color changing a car with vinyl is going to be paint perfect. They will never be happy no matter how good you hide seams or how straight your cuts are.

X2. as far as door jambs and stuff go, the biggest problem is longevity. and to do it right will be expensive, and that's a huge expense for a temporary effect.

HulkSmash

Nate, i promise most of those are silver nitrate paint. Even if they're listed as wraps on google, i promise they're not.

TheSnowman

I would run as fast as I can from this one. It's not a realistic situation for most people to handle with a happy customer in the end.

Oh, and my dad has a bigger gun than your dad. Seriously...what the puff happened here?

natedawg9640

Nate, i promise most of those are silver nitrate paint. Even if they're listed as wraps on google, i promise they're not.

this might change your mind...

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/09/03/oakley-design-lamborghini-aventador-lp760-4-dragon-edition/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...wraps-bugatti-veyron-in-red-chrome-video.html

this one basically says what i said. it's a tint over chrome wrap.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lamborghini-gallardo-blue-chrome-wrap-46293.html

here. you can see the door jambs at 0:57. it was wrapped for the CEO of Miami Lambo. you can't tell me that's not show quality. including jambs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RlTDZ8Sfr9M

natedawg9640

lol. The only two chrome ones I posted I just proved were wraps.

It's expensive to wrap the car in chrome. It's even more expensive to get it painted in chrome... why would you think there are more painted than wrapped? That's silly. Almost all of the 'chrome' or tinted chrome jobs out there are wraps. And my whole point is that it can be done for those who know how to do it and for those who want to pay for it.

ProWraps

there is a guy here in sac that does chrome paint jobs. he told me is $40k to do a new camaro he is working on.

HulkSmash

it's not silly. If you can afford a 200k car, you can afford a 20-50k paint job.
If they're driving this stuff regularly the stuff won't last and they're not paying to get it re wrapped every 6 months.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yuk,
Chrome is for stripper poles and cheap knock-off mechanic's tools, leave that stuff off vehicles.

wayne k
guam usa

natedawg9640

like i said previously, lots of exotics are leased... (can't paint a lease but you can wrap it) and lots of folks cant commit to the expense for a permanent change. and personally, i'd much rather pay to have a road rashed car re-wrapped, than have a road rashed paint job repainted. if i had a 200k car, id sped 10k on a wrap just to protect the paint. way more are wrapped than painted.

CheapVehicleWrap

The reality is these are the jobs I wish more in the US would actually pay for as has been going on overseas. All cheapness aside, I know and several other do too that I can make a nice profit doing such jobs and wow the customer.... and very few can (oh and I really DO love that part). Fact is it just doesn't happen often enough here. I could blame my lack of a stellar sales force to some degree but for some reason.... it just doesn't happen here. Why? I really don't understand. Every time I drink about it, I come up empty handed.