Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrinkage - yes....

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by MrPixelPuppy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. MrPixelPuppy

MrPixelPuppy New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I am printing on PAV (permanent adhesive vinyl) an image that is 120"x84" I tiled the job thru Onyx and after laminating i noticed that the panels were not all the same length. I was supposed to get 3 panels of 40x84 instead what my machine printed was one panel 40x84, one panel 40x78.5 and one panel 40x79.25

Machine did not run hot (post and preheat) it ran with no heat.
    I made the mistake already of running material with high heat and stretching panels. I also made mistake of buying 300ft rolls and having the first panels longer because the tug on the media was greater than usual, but i can't explain my print shrinkage.

I know many of you may be shy about this issue but i am a confident person and have now issues speaking about my shrinkage problems.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Printed on a Mimaki JV33
    Media PAV 6mil

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    And I thought this was gonna be about going swimming.................. :rolleyes:

3. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Why onyx? Rasterlink no good?

4. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
  5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I thought this was about cold water and swimming.........

6. ISignworks

ISignworks New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    I've ran into the same issue, especially when printing full bleed, full color panels, on our JV33. My only solution thus far has been to make the prints slightly larger to compensate for this shrinkage.

7. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have seen this issue on a few printers over the years, but never as drastic as you described--losing 6.5" on an 84" print. It's usually a media comp issue or the material feeding differently as the roll diameter and weight decreases. It sounds like you have something else going on.

8. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

I doubt this has anything to do with the JV33 itself unless there is some sort of setting that randomly resizes print jobs or the material is somehow managing to slip forwards while feeding. Too much tension on the takeup?? We never have this problem and I know many others with JV33 machines as well who have never have this sort of issue.

That being said, it can happen depending on the specific material, heat settings, humidity in the room, during laminating (too much tension), etc. These would all usually result in stretching. Only other thing I can think of is some bug in the RIP. If it were a feed comp or scaling comp then the panels would be consistently off. With it random I can only assume some sort of bug in the software or something causing the material to slip forward.

9. Northern Design

Northern Design Northern Design Graphics

Jan 1, 2009
    seattle
    Roland Versa Works fixed this with a process call "Place Alternate" it inverts the next panel to be printed. You print top to bottom-bottom to top and so on

10. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010