• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shrinkage - yes....

MrPixelPuppy

I am printing on PAV (permanent adhesive vinyl) an image that is 120"x84" I tiled the job thru Onyx and after laminating i noticed that the panels were not all the same length. I was supposed to get 3 panels of 40x84 instead what my machine printed was one panel 40x84, one panel 40x78.5 and one panel 40x79.25

Machine did not run hot (post and preheat) it ran with no heat.
I made the mistake already of running material with high heat and stretching panels. I also made mistake of buying 300ft rolls and having the first panels longer because the tug on the media was greater than usual, but i can't explain my print shrinkage.

I know many of you may be shy about this issue but i am a confident person and have now issues speaking about my shrinkage problems.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Printed on a Mimaki JV33
Media PAV 6mil

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

ISignworks

I've ran into the same issue, especially when printing full bleed, full color panels, on our JV33. My only solution thus far has been to make the prints slightly larger to compensate for this shrinkage.

thewood

I have seen this issue on a few printers over the years, but never as drastic as you described--losing 6.5" on an 84" print. It's usually a media comp issue or the material feeding differently as the roll diameter and weight decreases. It sounds like you have something else going on.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I doubt this has anything to do with the JV33 itself unless there is some sort of setting that randomly resizes print jobs or the material is somehow managing to slip forwards while feeding. Too much tension on the takeup?? We never have this problem and I know many others with JV33 machines as well who have never have this sort of issue.

That being said, it can happen depending on the specific material, heat settings, humidity in the room, during laminating (too much tension), etc. These would all usually result in stretching. Only other thing I can think of is some bug in the RIP. If it were a feed comp or scaling comp then the panels would be consistently off. With it random I can only assume some sort of bug in the software or something causing the material to slip forward.

Northern Design

Northern Design Graphics
Roland Versa Works fixed this with a process call "Place Alternate" it inverts the next panel to be printed. You print top to bottom-bottom to top and so on