• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Side Mirror Issue

acothran

Greetings,
We recently wrapped a 2006 (or so) Kia Rio. The wrap went fine but we are having issues with the side mirrors. Last Friday we re-wrapped the mirrors since the vinyl was not holding. Today I get an email from my client with the attached photo showing the same issue. This is 3M IJ180C-V3 with 8518 laminate. The mirror housings were primed with Primer 94 before the vinyl was installed and well post headed after the vinyl was installed. At this point I just want to make sure they hold when we re-wrap them. Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen

Attachments

• Kia Mirror Issue.JPG
    Kia Mirror Issue.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 107

dsmskyline

Looks like the material was over stretched during install and is trying to shrink back to its original size.

My only thought would be to try and not stretch as much.

Mirrors are a big PITA.

HulkSmash

that's wrapping mirrors for you. Try stretching less... but it's going to be hard for that not to happen.

acothran

One issue with these that we haven't had on other mirrors is that there is no room to tuck the vinyl around the trim ring. On some mirrors you can push/tuck the vinyl between the housing and the trim ring which seem to help but there is no space on these. There wasn't even enough space to help much with guiding the knife blade when trimming.

Allen

formanek

An obvious over stretch. You can tell by the way the edge is scalloped and pulling back. Start at the top were it is visible then go to the bottom. I prime the entire mirror as well.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Someone here posted a video on how they did the mirrors.
I can't remember who but what they did was tack the material to the drip rail - warm it up good and stretch it down quite a bit.
Then they set it on the mirror.
As the material cooled and tried to return to the original shape it pulled down tight around the mirror.
I tried it on some small curvy items and it seemed to do the trick.
You might want to try it out with some scrap and see what you can come up with

wayne k
guam usa

MikePro

stretch all you want, but make sure you leave excess at trim lines/peel back/heat again/reapply/and then trim.
I'm always confident that stretched material, applied, surrounded by material that's shrunk back down to its original "structure", will hold just fine.

Maybe Primer 94 the perimeter of where you plan to cut as well? Never hurts to over-do it!

k6media

Install the graphics, trim back a quarter inch. And then install strip laminate (thin 1/4 inch strips) of the same 8518 or 8519 lam. Seal the entire outter edge.

Secondly the 3M product isn't ideal for this situation as it's not as pliable for this application

cdiesel

Yeah.. don't primer the mirror. *MAYBE* the edge if you're going to do that mirror in one piece. We would wrap this in two pieces and it'll never fail. Just put the bottom piece on first, and put your seams in the least noticeable places.

CheapVehicleWrap

Formanek, I didn't mention your cousin. I certainly don't appreciate my wagon being downgraded either (and I did just acquire an antique wagon from the 20's). If it makes you feel better... more that 75% of my own family is that word. Please don't take it personally... it's just a word (perhaps mis-chosen). If you so desire to get me back REAL good, feel free to talk about cancer... a life taking disease with a more popular thread count of 178. Again, I DO apologize for being the the 85th thread containing that word. That being said.. you only read 2 pages on my site for 35 seconds, you no likey? Come on, the testimonials were good no?

Last edited:

formanek

Formanek, I didn't mention your cousin. I certainly don't appreciate my wagon being downgraded either (and I did just acquire an antique wagon from the 20's). If it makes you feel better... more that 75% of my own family is that word. Please don't take it personally... it's just a word (perhaps mis-chosen). If you so desire to get me back REAL good, feel free to talk about cancer... a life taking disease with a more popular thread count of 178. Again, I DO apologize for being the the 85th thread containing that word. That being said.. you only read 2 pages on my site for 35 seconds, you no likey? Come on, the testimonials were good no?

Ya you are really funny. You are not worth my time. Thanks.