• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Side to side walking issues on a Seal base 62

bige

I was wondering if other people are having issues like mine, and if so how to correct them. No matter how straight I cut my media before it gets laminated, it seams to walk and continue walking on bigger runs to the point, i have to cut it and reset the media. sometimes it runs without a hitch and sometimes no matter what i try it keeps walking off to one side or the other. we have a grid table and have tried cutting the entry end completely straight but sometimes it doesnt seam to help much.

Is there anyone else having these kinds of issues? any help/info would be appreciated very much!

JoeBoomer

black magic

It depends... Tues - Thur are the best days to laminate long runs. Those laminators don't like to be bothered on Mondays or Fridays. :)

I have the a Seal 54, the rollers are pretty beat up and I've got the tension cranked down pretty good, etc. etc. Some days I can get it to do 3/4 of a roll and maybe move 1/2" total. Other days, it will move by an inch or two on a 20' roll.

I really think it all comes down to how dead-nuts straight you load your prints. Try to square up the edge of your rolls so they aren't "spiraling". Feed it in as square as possible and hope. When I load a roll on the bottom roller and feed it up over the table (or under the table depending on your method) I will actually bump the roll over a tiny bit when it is running to try and correct the skew if needed. It seems to work to a certain extent, but I try to laminate 1/2 rolls or smaller if possible.

For some reason, laminators seem to be kind of a "black magic" for us "sign-folk". Just look at all the different ways people tell you to web them up on Youtube. It's crazy the different variations that people use to run their laminators.

Could be any number of issues.

One of the most common ones that I run across when I'm training someone is that they crank up the pressure too high on the rollers. You might take a look at that. That might also explain why sometimes it works ok and sometimes it gets worse, especially if someone is adjusting the pressure.

I was told by the equipment manufacturer and one of the material manufacturers that you always the least amount of pressure to do the job correctly.

~Chris

i would say its the loading of the material. gotta make sure your roll is tight and even on the edges. You may have to re-roll sometimes, or you can wiggle it straight if its off a little. both Vinyl and lam. I also only like to use one piece of tape in the center of the roll where it starts on the core, i found three can put it in a bind if it does walk. also could be the left and right side of your rollers isn't level to each other. could be too much pressure. Keep a nice even tension on it too, not to much, not too little.

CES020

Just an idea, do the math. If it's 1/16" out of square on the cutoff end you load, that's close to 1/2" out in 20'.

Don't know if that's the issue, but something to consider.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
pressure and nip

Your nip is probably slightly off. Does it always go right? Or always go left? If that's the case, then get a tech out to reset the nip and you should be good to go. Make sure that when it is just lam on a print that your pressure percentage is 80%. You have a good machine, it just needs a quick fix.