• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sidewalk Graphics

SAR.Summerlin

So we are bidding to do a large golf tournament in town and I was wondering what material you good people would recommend for sidewalk graphics. They need to last 5 days in heavy traffic. The will me 30" round.

ProWraps

ij40 wont stick.

you need a product like mactac street wrap or possibly an arlon 8000.

i would use a very thick overlam specific to the purpose. a fellers catalog will have what you need.

you will need to clean the side walk well. you can speed up the process of drying it by using a torch.

shouldnt give you any problems with the correct materials.

fozzie

Have used mactac street rap with mactac pf6315 approved lam many times. Good product. See your in Vegas so rain may not be an issue. Speaking from experience, the sidewalks must be completely dry to install. Did a job once that the graphics were to be installed the day before the event. Ended up raining 3 days straight so we couldn't apply them. Client refused to pay since they didn't use them. Always put the "weather clause" in quote now. If we can't install due to weather, they still buy them. Also, check on sealed or unsealed concrete. If sealed, mactac is permanent.

a77

fozzie, how big were the graphics you were doing? that sucks that you couldn't put them down...
if small enough, some guys could have held a tarp while you torch it like prowraps said?
And if not perfectly completely dry and there's a bit of moisture underneath is it really a no-go for short term sidewalk install?

iprint

AsphaltArt is an awesome product but it is a little pricey. It doesn't require any overlaminate as it is textured. It is almost like skateboard grip tape with an aluminum foil backing. It is designed specifically for going on asphalt/sidewalks and is very impressive installed. Having a foil backing allows it to conform to the uneven surfaces and I have even seen it installed onto brick.

fozzie

Those were 3' x 5'. Couldn't put em down as it was one of those 3 day Midwestern drizzles that had everything wet. Mactac says "completely dry" and above 50 degrees when putting down (and temp should hit 70 later) that's all on their website.
We always use torches to clean and heat up sidewalks. Some sidewalks have been "damp" but not wet. Torched them really good. But in our experience if the sidewalks are wet, they wont stay down (and edges are real easy to kick up.

mikefine

I second Fozzie's comment about dampness. Even after they are installed you have to consider rain. You mentioned sidewalks -- you have to watch the grooves. If you get a heavy rain, water will collect in the channel, seep under the graphic, and you lose adhesion very quickly. I unfortunately learned that the hard way.

SAR.Summerlin

AsphaltArt is an awesome product but it is a little pricey. It doesn't require any overlaminate as it is textured. It is almost like skateboard grip tape with an aluminum foil backing. It is designed specifically for going on asphalt/sidewalks and is very impressive installed. Having a foil backing allows it to conform to the uneven surfaces and I have even seen it installed onto brick.

Do you happen to know if this can be contour cut the graphics are going to be circles is my understanding at the moment.

TheLairdGuy

+1 On MACtac Street Rap & AsphaltArt, I've seen both before and they turn out fantastic.

I know the other posters have said this, but for emphasis: Make sure the ground is dry before putting it on so the adhesion goes well.

Good luck with the Project Summerlin!

iprint

Do you happen to know if this can be contour cut the graphics are going to be circles is my understanding at the moment.

I am sure it would depend on the equipment that you are using. Like I said, it has a aluminum foil backing that me damage some equipment. If they are just going to be circles, you could always cut by hand or make a template out of pvc to aid in trimming. The samples that I have are too small to try, but almost every picture that I have seen online of this product is contour cut.

WI

We use 3M 3662 with 3M 3647, which is the specific laminate that goes with it. The stuff is not cheap, but it gives you a pretty good image and it's as close to indestructable as you're likely to find in a solvent-printable material. You might not need to go as upmarket as that, but I suppose that depends on how heavy "heavy traffic" is.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We have pretty good wrap vinyl with air release + thick lamination. $550 for two 54"x150' material shipped. We can send sample before ordering.

3M 3662 Sidewalk Film...........SCREEN PRINTABLE ONLY???

We use 3M 3662 with 3M 3647, which is the specific laminate that goes with it. The stuff is not cheap, but it gives you a pretty good image and it's as close to indestructable as you're likely to find in a solvent-printable material. You might not need to go as upmarket as that, but I suppose that depends on how heavy "heavy traffic" is.

3M 3662 Sidewalk Film...........SCREEN PRINTABLE ONLY???
So says Fellers catalog???

Has anyone used Eco solvent print on this film?

Ponto

So we are bidding to do a large golf tournament in town and I was wondering what material you good people would recommend for sidewalk graphics. They need to last 5 days in heavy traffic. The will me 30" round.

Hmmmmmmmm,... odd you need to post your query here when, as a "SAR team member", you choose this resource over the Signarama forum.......were the "professional" sign members at that source unable to help you?

JP