• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign and Gemini letter installation help

I've got a customer that we are putting some signs and gemini letters up for. The problem is what we are attaching them to, I'm worried about how to mount them correctly. They are going in the gables of the building, and the customer has put up the metal roofing panels in the gable. The attached picture is the type of panels he hung. It is a new building, and when we made the signs there wasn't going to be this panel in the gable, it was just going to be flat, now they added these, and I'm not sure if these signs will hang good. The signs are dibond close to 1/4", 6 mm i think? They are cut into a 5 x 10 oval. I was thinking of filling in the low areas with wood so that I had a flat surface to attach the sign screwing threw the surface. Does that sound logical? Or any better ideas?

And on the Gemini letters, the only problem I see is when a hole hits one of the raised "v" areas. I have the adjustable pads on the letters so I can get them to all look flush once they are in, I was just thinking ahead that trying to get a straight hole in the v could pose a problem.

Attachments

• 5v.gif
    5v.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 126

visual800

IF i was doing this I would use 1" pvc as a stand off and hit the low areas of the oval sign on the gemini letters its a hit and miss I would rather install a background for the letters cause what looks good on galvaized material anyway?

Sliver or galvanized is either dark grey or brite white depending on the sun and how it hits it. I dont think any color gemini is gonna look good on that. I would put letters on a rectangle or capsule

FS-Keith

you will have enough surface area with that size panel that if you are fastening into something solid behind it you wont have any problems, just know when tight is tight. Putting up some spacers beforehand to take up the depth wont hurt either though

threeputt

What you could do is this.

1) Have someone help you to hold the sign panel in place on the corrugated.
2) With a stabilo pencil mark the locations where the grooved V's are.
3) Back at your shop, cut some "rounds" from 2" diameter PVC pipe.
4) Put the sign face down on a work table and randomly lay them out onto the sign face where you think it will give you some nice support for the sign.
5) Drill a hole in the center of those locations. (use the same size hole as you'll need for the mounting screw)
6) Flip the sign over and center the rounds over the drilled holes.
7) Bond the rounds to the back of the sign with construction adhesive and allow to dry.

That should give you a nice mountable sign with pre-drilled holes. Depending on what's behind the metal corrugation, pick your fastener's length, type and diameter.

The Gemini letters will take patience. But if you make a paper pattern of them, including where the studs protrude, an exact layout, place that in the location and see if most, if not all, of the studs will miss the V's. By shifting the pattern slightly this way or that, you may be able to accomplish it.