• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Business as SIDE HUSTLE...

paperstrategies

you are ahead of me man. I'm in the same boat but I don't have machines. I mostly just design, but I use a few different vendors to get the prints. In the case of vinyls, I have them produced and I install them. So... mind if I ask when you were ready to take the next step to get your machines? Or location for that matter? In my opinion, hiring someone to run the shop while there's work sounds like a simple fix until you're ready to make the jump to lightspeed.

Billct2

For anyone so busy with their side work that its a "problem" there's an easy solution, raise your prices.

wrenchmaster

With the internet, social media and so many means to find anyone or anything...... the sky's the limit. If you can't make a sign shop worth while by putting in 20 hours a week, then don't do it. If you don't wanna see people or deal with customers, I'd say you're well on your way. The days of going to a sign company and seeing all the cranes and bucket trucks out on the lot are gone. Having 28 employees to most people will scare them away, as they think they are gonna pay for all that overhead, for a simple little dumb sign, when all they want is something designed by some couch potato and pumped outta some cheap printer and pay as little as possible for it.
Keep mom at home tending the kids and put in an extra 15 hours a week and make thousands of extra dollars a week. You can do it...... we all do it. Ain't nothing to it.
:rock-n-roll:

Hi Gino,

I found your reply intriguing.

I have been thinking of getting into the sign business. But where my struggle is, I have no experience in the business.
My trade however is commercial offset and digital printing. I currently over see the IT, prepares and digital print departments
of the company I work for.

I would appreciate your views on how a person with no wide format / sign business.

What are your recommended suggestion, if any.

Thanks
Charles

Chris...

Hi Gino,

I have been thinking of getting into the sign business. But where my struggle is, I have no experience in the business.
My trade however is commercial offset and digital printing. I currently over see the IT, prepares and digital print departments

I would appreciate your views on how a person with no wide format / sign business.

Thanks
Charles

I was in the same boat as you. Literally. I worked for a commercial printing company, ran the color management and imaging dept. I left after 23 years. Got a job at a small sign company, liked the work but not the people. Quit after 18 months and got a part time job delivering auto parts. Bought a Graphtec 8600 and made $1300 the first week. It's slowed down a bit recently but I have talked to several customers who are ready to place some big orders. The inconsistency
is something I have to work on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gino,

Thanks
Charles

Your only problem is..... you are thinking about it. You don't sound like you're driven, have ambition or talent to do the work. You just are thinking about it, cause it is somewhat related today to what you already do with all the machines doing the work. You need to figure out what you wanna do.

You're a member here for 5 years and you don't know what to do ?? Have you used the 'Search' button ?? Have you asked questions ?? Have you entered into any in depth threads or conversations ?? what have you done...... on your own to further yourself ??

How can one ask such an empty question ??

Tim Aucoin

Hi Gino,

Thanks
Charles

We transitioned from an Offset print company to a digital print & sign company over 8 years ago when the offset business started to die. Our first "wide format" printer was an Epson aqueous printer... that's how much I knew about getting into the sign business... nothing! Yes, this printer got us some poster and "banner" business, but I didn't realize just how much it was costing me. Then I discovered this place (Signs 101). I spent HOUR upon HOUR researching, asking questions (even the dumbest little ones) about processes, equipment, methods, tips & tricks, etc... My next purchase was a Roland EcoSolvent printer/cutter. Better indeed, and a step in the right direction. Fast forward several years now and we've sold off all offset equipment and are completely "digital" now. Latex printer, Gerber printer, Roland plotter, Gerber plotter, heat press, laminator, etc... all the makings of a "real" sign shop with digital printing to back it all up. The only negative now is our location... it is killing us with the economic downturn. Our lease is up in 8 months... we are looking at (finally) moving out of this dungeon to a more exposed area where we can grow the business.

Bottom line... be open to learn. Expect to make LOTS of mistakes. Learn from your mistakes. Read and ask questions here. That's how I got to where I am today! Oh, and I also went to a couple meet & greets to make sure these guys are actually REAL people... most of them are! :thumb: