• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sign cabinet help

Silver Star DC

Hey all. Not sure if those is the right forum page or not. If it's not please let me know and I'll post somewhere else.

I have a sign cabinet that I am trying to change the faces in, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to take the cabinet apart. It doesn't have the typical edge to side the faces in and out. Most cabinets I've changed out have retainers butt those one doesn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PXL_20201109_231121016.jpg
PXL_20201109_231153017.jpg
PXL_20201109_231246372.jpg
PXL_20201109_231314724.jpg
PXL_20201109_231121016.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
what about that dark hole on the bottom of the second to last pic? Looks like some scratching right below it where a drill or something rubbed up against the retainer.

Silver Star DC

They may have dinner that to allow drainage. I'm not sure though. The 2 button looking areas is what puzzled me. Not sure what those are.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you got the job already, maybe drill a hole in the side of those pan faces so you can see inside the frame. I'm about as clueless as you are with this one. Maybe someone else here has seen these before.

Silver Star DC

I've got the job. But that's a great idea. I didn't even think about cutting a hole in the face. I have to replace them anyways.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya have a phone number there of the manufacturer. Have you thought of contacting them ??

visual800

must be one of those"permanent" sign boxes manufactured for single use,it looks like all wires are cut if your only concern is a new face you might wanna think about a new box. these almost remind me of the old duralite boxes

signbrad

I don't know the answer either, but here are some thoughts anyway.

The two holes at the top were for two of the four bolts that went into the corner gussets, which hold the sign together. This is common construction technique on a knockdown kit when the corners are not welded. Will the top return pry up? If so it may reveal top retainer screws, allowing the face to be removed from the top, assuming horizontal lamps.
However, if there is no clearance to remove the face from any direction, then the sign was installed with no thought of servicing, and it should probably come down and be taken to the shop to work on or be replaced. Obviously, the cost would need to change.

I am not familiar with this design. Someone else may be.
Do they really make single-use lighted signs? Throwaways? If so, it fits with a general philosophy in this country. Why fix it when, for a few more dollars, you can just get a new one? Is this not a basic tenet of the auto industry? As well as so many other industries?

Brad

d fleming

Can't see far side from pics but guessing it mounts from both sides. Most likely cabinet will have to come down to be serviced. Cut wires tell me it has been brought down in past with no intention of relamping once face work was done and reinstalled..

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd grab some 2" angle or fold up some .063" and make new trim, cut the old faces to pieces to remove it, slap the new trim on there, and put your faces in it. (don't forget to space the new trim off far enough to get the face in)

I second that plan if you can't figure out how to remove the retainer.

Silver Star DC

I did call the number on the cabinet, and that number has been disconnected. I'm on my way back to the job site now. Taking a hammer and pry bar with me this time. I'm going to bust the faces out to see if I can get the cabinet opened up. Thanks for all the help. I do like the idea of making new retainers. That may be the easiest option.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks like ABC's extrusion that's tension fit together using corner keys. You should be able to persuade the end piece to come off with a few taps of a hammer.

Silver Star DC

I actually found some hidden screws on the opposite end of the cabinet and was able to remove part of that end. It's an old cabinet, but very well built. It's been at this location for over 20 years and there was no sign of water getting inside. I really appreciate all of you and your help.