Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign causes fire

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Bigdawg, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Sign Fire... this is just down the road from me.

I am so looking to see who pulled these permits...

Tags:
  2. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Wow! :omg: Hopefully whoever did it is insured! Who would be inevitably responsible in this case?

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Hope some sign company had a licensed electrician connect the power originally.

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    It depends on where exactly the fire started... my understanding is that if the fire was in the sign itself after the electrical hook-ups from the owner's electrician - blame would fall onto the sign maker... if it is in the wiring going into the sign that the owner had done - not sign company responsibility.

5. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    people wonder why UL listed and why correct permits and such are needed. good example of why.

6. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL
    It's possible that the ballast just decided to burst into flames. I've seen that many times. And in this kind of heat...Doesn't help keep them cool.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Hey Stacy........

Can you find out if they were box signs or channels letters and direct mount or raceway ?? I didn't see that anywhere.

There are any number of causes that will prove your theory right or wrong.

Were the correct size circuit breakers installed.... were there ample transformers used..... how much florescent tubes were run to each ballast.... and the list goes on. It really depends on what set up was used and possibly too many transformers were piled into a corner above the ceiling and the heat had no where to go and just burst into flames.

I'd bet the second fire was due to smoldering somewhere and just re-ignited.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    good point.

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I'm going to drive by on my way home from work and see which sign.. there was a combination of box signs and channel letters at that plaza...

10. Westcoast Sign Guy

Westcoast Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    If it was caused by the sign, 9 and a half times our of 10, these fires are caused from no metal conduit being used.

The original sign installer AND any company that ever came to service this sign we be FULLY responsible.