• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Eduacation?

dc303

Is there anyplace a person should go to really know what there doing when designing graphics and printing/cutting? looking into colleges and wondering if I can go someplace and have someone teach me the ups and downs or should I just keep working and growing my business?

Billct2

I don't know of any place that teaches a comprehensive course that includes all the aspects of running a modern sign shop, maybe someones else does.
Even when I went to sign school (back in the hand lettering days) they only covered part of what it took to be successful.
I think you can get what you need by combining some classes in graphics (both design applied learning of specific programs like Adobe), business management and industry specific workshops like those at the Atlantic City show, along with studying the better books on sign & logo design (Mike Stevens/Dan Antonelli).

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Yes there is several .. Detroit Lakes Minnesota excellent school 1st one that came to mind,
one in Chicago area, believe Boston also and I'm sure in California, then there is Full Sail here in Orlando that teaches all digital highly ranked.
I thought there was a listing in this forum somewhere.

Myself i went to sign school best thing I did anyway I'll keep looking for what is out there.

jiarby

The State Prison in Florence AZ has a good career technical training program for the sign & engraving business.

The tuition may be more than you want to pay.

Attachments

• azprison.jpg
    azprison.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 116

OldPaint

my background is DRAFTING, CONSTRUCTION(carpentry/metal) auto body painting, and couple years at penn state as an art major. so no one teaches it all. in the old days, you found a sign painter, worked for free or very little money while he taught the ins n outs of how to make money at this work. now it no training needed, hit print button and you is a sign maker.

jiarby

now it no training needed, hit print button and you is a sign maker.

I'll bet in your last life you were a buggy whip salesman about the time Henry Ford started selling Model A's!

What do you think of them thar movin' picture shows? I hear tell the have sound now, and color too!

sardocs

"no class can teach you signs" ...It's true, I have no class and I've taught a bunch of folks signs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Graphic design, learning software and running a printer/laminator are 3 different things.

For graphic design, there are colleges that just concentrate on that. Some have classes that deal with environmental graphic design (signs are included in that) but there are few who have programs that signage/environmental specific. I only recommend this option if you are planning to be employed or have the time, 100+k, and 3+ years. There are some sign/graphic specific information and classes at segd.org, and you might try sign conventions and a letterhead meet.

For software, there are websites like Lynda.com and you might have some community colleges teaching it.

For hardware, you might try the manufacturer, Roland has classes, and some distributers do, and then there are sign conventions. The best way is being trained on the job. There is another option of a non-franchise company where they teach you basic ins and outs and some equipment training and support. (www.signbiz.com) I have visited that particular facility and was very impressed with the knowledge base and support they have on hand.

There was a poll here done a few years ago... most sign people are self taught here.

Marlene

check with your local colleges as they have night classes in graphic design which is a good start. it won't be for signs but knowing the basics of a good layout is something that you can use to design just about anything. marketing is good too as knowing what appeals to different target markets is a big help. subscribe to trade mags like "Sign Craft" which has a ton of good info on layouts. "Signs of the Times" which is more nuts and bolts of the trade plus layouts. there are ads for books in the mags that also are a big help

as far as software/printer training, that would depend on what you buy.

Salmoneye

You could try to serve an apprenticeship at a larger facility that covers it all. Tell them that you will work for one year 40 hours a week in return for your education. Make sure that this company understands that you are willing to work hard to be a benefit to them but in return want to be taught, corrected, educated... Also that you would like to work for a period in every department that they have then concentrate on the facets of the industry that you feel you need the most work on. Cheaper than college and no shiny piece of paper at the end.

WrapperX

So far you can pull from this thread is this:

Design basics for basic design layout structure
Marketing 101 for basic strategies for marketing yourself and knowing how to market someone else's business
Business Management for solid business knowledge and skills

No such degree in Sign Shop. So your best bet is to take indiviual courses to get an overall knowledge.