• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sign Engineering

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Our "authority having jurisdiction" (local building inspector) is now requiring engineer stamped drawing for just about anything we install in our city. They asked for engineering drawings to attach a temnporary banner to an exterior wall (?!). This seems to be a new trend. I've been designing and installing signs for 35 years, and while we usually consult with engineers for big projects (large multi-tenent signs, billboards, etc.), these new requirements are presenting yet another hurdle that needs to be crossed. I understand the need for this, and I am willing to comply (as long as it is a level playing field). What kind of experience do any of you have with working with engineering firms, and can you recommend any (we are in Illinois). Thanks in advance!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
its just an easier way to “clean up” the signs without changing the ordinance and risking lawsuits that can come with it.

signage

I can see there needing an engineered stamp if the banner is attached to a wall perpendicular to the wall,stretching to another anchor point. Just mounted to a wall (flat against the wall) not so much, unless the building is really old and has not been kept in good condition. JM02c

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stamped engineer drawings is a must with all signs in our area, now. Some municipalities enforce it more than others, but it is getting outta hand. Had a sign 30" × 41" going flat on a wall, exactly where an old sign was. Relatively new building, in great shape, the old sign weighed about 35lbs, the new one about 4lbs, but it still needed the engineer's say so. Another sign was about 47"× 67" going over top of an existing free standing monument sign..... an overlay so-to-speak and it also needed engineer drawings stamped for it. In anything under a certain amount of money, it's added quite a strain to do business, so I tell the people, put it up yourself....... and be careful )))))

Rocco G

We mainly do wholesale sign installation for national and regional sign companies. Sealed plans have been a fact of life for us for a long time. However, it's usually for an electric wall sign, pylon sign, etc. The fact that they want sealed plans for a banner installation isn't surprising.

The fact that they are now requiring sealed plans is just a form of them playing CYA. IMHO it all comes down to liability and the towns not wanting to be at risk. The building inspector isn't an expert at engineering (otherwise they would be an engineer) and even if they were, the towns lawyer doesn't want them to approve anything on their own. So they now require sealed plans. I've had to get sealed plans for a set of styrofoam letters that were glued to a wall inside a store that was inside a mall. Yes, really. Recently a town wanted sealed plans for a face change for a 6x8 pylon sign. Our customer provided them, but what really is the engineer approving in that case? It's all to do with the attorneys and lawsuits. To quote The Bard "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers", though maybe that's a bit much.

We use Murdoch Engineering in NJ and have for a number of years. You would have to ask them if they are licensed in your state. IIRC they cover ~35 states. They have a price schedule that covers 95% of sign installations so you can know ahead of time what the cost will be. We just email drawings to them and hear back if they have an issue (rare) or when the plans are ready to go out. I'd guess that they would consider a banner as the same as a wall sign.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
92351a546_hex head screws for woodl.gif
Humorous replies! I ended up sending this drawing to the inspectors and got the permit to hand the banner. Talking to them later, they agreed it was ridiculous. But on bigger signs and signpole installations the want sealed drawings, and I'm hunting for an engineering firm. Thanks for the replies!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
View attachment 146994 Humorous replies! I ended up sending this drawing to the inspectors and got the permit to hand the banner. Talking to them later, they agreed it was ridiculous. But on bigger signs and signpole installations the want sealed drawings, and I'm hunting for an engineering firm. Thanks for the replies!
Sir, I don't see a seal on that drawing. Please resubmit with 1 original and 10 copies. We will also need a current survey and site plan.

MikePro

did it say if it required an SE or a PE stamp?
I'd imagine most engineers have a flat rate for quick-glance approvals like this. We have a guy in illinois, but only most recently needed an SE stamp for a DesPlaines Theater Marquee we just revamped.