• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Fail

Lifer

We made some 10" x 14" die cut stickers (rounded corners) out of 3951RA Material & 290 Laminate.

They were applied at a grain elevator on the entrance doors. The doors are metal but appear to be painted with a latex paint and have a slight texture.

They have only been on a little over 1 year and are pealing for them.
He (customer) said they were applied on clean doors - no grease or dust.

Q1: Why would they be pealing off? (this is 10yr conformable)
Q2: What would possibly stick better?

2B

3951HT & 3105HT

another way to increase tach is us Primer 94 on the edges during install

these are grain elevators so there is LOTS of dirt, dust. the surface being "clean" is difficult to believe.
also this is going to be a metal and as the temperate changes as well as if the bins are full/empty the bins are going to "flex"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's clean to them is probably not what's needed to apply your vinyl. A grain elevator will need several wipe downs before it will except anything. Also, try the more aggressive vinyl [non air release] as mentioned.

calbanner

Try some 3M 94 Primer next time ...... that stuff is amazing. Quick fast drying. Apply
to each surface before bonding.

Baz

Isn't Primer 94 made to go with 3M vinyl ???

I thought Primer 94 would affect adhesive performance on other brands of vinyls!!

Mosh

Print them on aluminum and rivet them to the bin. Nothing will stay on long-term to anything painted latex...try another decal be ready to re-do them this time next year again.

These are "die cut"? Or did you cut them on a plotter?

Malkin

Try some 3M 94 Primer next time ...... that stuff is amazing. Quick fast drying. Apply
to each surface before bonding.

I would caution that so far, everyone on here has said to never use 3M Primer 94 with any Oracal vinyls, just doesn't work and makes it worse.

...could always be exceptions though.

Lifer

Would the 3M 94 Primer alone be enough to promote the bonding of the 3951RA Decals?

Or do I need to do BOTH -non RA vinyl & 94 Primer?

Lifer

Print them on aluminum and rivet them to the bin. Nothing will stay on long-term to anything painted latex...try another decal be ready to re-do them this time next year again.

These are "die cut"? Or did you cut them on a plotter?[/QU

I suggest putting them on aluminum blanks and screwing to the doors (regular metal shop entrance doors - not grain bin).

He did't want to go that route.

ORAFOL Americas

Merchant Member
Quoted from our general warranty, "ORACAL USA does not promote or recommend using any type of adhesive promoter or tape primer with its products. Use of
adhesive promoters will void any applicable warranty coverage."

There is also information in our warranty document that covers questions regarding substrates. This may be able to further answer your questions.

http://www.oracal.com/_userfiles/File/GeneralWarranty.pdf

Hope this helps!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, but if the vinyl failed so quickly, I'd be a little hesitant to use another adhesive before doing some testing or a better cleaning.