• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign friends and musicians.... will this work?

GypsyGraphics

iSign, well i do like bubble wrap and i'll bet we could come up with a whole collection of problems that could be solved with bubble wrap, we could write a book.... the possibles are endless.

My fear would be that if my family hears of the bubble wrap idea for this problem.... my drums and i might end up looking like that SUV.

iSign

actually, joking aside, I think you have 2 separate considerations now. The room mix, and peace in the household (& neighborhood).

In any cubical room with flat surfaces, you only need to pad 3 of the 6 surfaces to keep the sound from bouncing around like the inside of a drum. Any 2 adjacent walls, and the floor or ceiling. So, I would consider an acoustical insulation panel on the wall with the guitars & the wall with windows, (& maybe an optional thicker drape during jams) If you aren't opposed to carpet, maybe that would be easier.. other wise, an acoustical insulation panel on the ceiling too & this will reduce bounce & you call play just as loud but hear less overtones & mud.

Now, for the rest of the house, in my opinion, you could absolutely go with solid acrylic panels on the wall over the stairs IF you pad the window wall opposite to it. It will not reflect the sound all that much differently then the other 3 walls have been all this time, PLUS you eliminate the back-and-forth bounce you currently have between floor & ceiling and between the entry & guitar walls.

On top of everything else, it might be nice to build a 3 part folding room partition just high enough for you or any other drummer to see over, & then pad the inside of that. This helps mic bleed a little, for casual recording, & where the other guys just turn a dial to bring it down, the drummer needs to play hard on the songs meant to be played hard & this helps the room mix without altering the playing style so much.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not to be chithead here, but I don't think any blinds are really going to be sound proof to any degree at all. They are after all... decorations or treatments....not sound barriers. They're still basically hard surfaces and will just bounce the sound around and without hard tight fits, most of the sound [noise] will just go right through. You really need something that will actually pick up and soak up the many decibels you'll be creating in there.

iSign

iSign, well i do like bubble wrap and i'll bet we could come up with a whole collection of problems that could be solved with bubble wrap, we could write a book.... the possibles are endless.

My fear would be that if my family hears of the bubble wrap idea for this problem.... my drums and i might end up looking like SUV.

forget the room.. bubble wrap the girl!! :ROFLMAO:

(that's ok.. when that rock & roll rots your brain.. you won't need the strait-jacket OR the padded room!)

I've put up with their noise for 8 years, since we moved here, and now that i want to make a wee bit of racket, when i practice... sound is an issue. I think it's just a case of the... a bunch of boys can make noise... but one girl has to be quite. I won't be kept down or silenced by "The Man."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: YOU TELL 'EM!!!
NOW THAT'S THE SPIRIT OF ROCK & ROLL! :rock-n-roll:

GypsyGraphics

Okay, my pea brain is on overload now.... when you guys are talking about carpet, do you mean sandwiching a sound proofing core between two pieces of carpet?

If that's what you mean, that would look great if i used the same carpet that's on the floor!

Border

Maybe get some of those 4x 8 1 inch thick foam insulating boards from the building center. Cut those to fit in the openings and then either hang some nice looking fabric over the openings on both sides so it looks nice, or possibly even cover the panels like upholstery. You could make them just the right size so that they kind of wedge themselves snugly into the openings. Maybe have someone dye-sublimate a design or photo of your choice onto the fabric to customize it!
Then, crank it,...to 11.

iSign

Okay, my pea brain is on overload now.... when you guys are talking about carpet, do you mean sandwiching a sound proofing core between two pieces of carpet?

If that's what you mean, that would look great if i used the same carpet that's on the floor!

My carpet suggestion was just for the floor, because I couldn't see if you already had carpet. As for other sound absorbing panels, search the net & you can find numerous how-to videos and shop drawings. Here's a short video from a manufacturer with a great product & some ideas on making it a great looking product. Hmmm... I wonder what inkjet media would be the best to let the sound pass through to be absorbed by the batting inside?

John L

We have installed Armstrong Soundsoak panels in several home theater rooms. It would be a more permanent solution rather than a demountable one but you might get some ideas by netsearching that. They are affordable and they have many nice fabric designs.

Brandon708

Sorry for the bad drawing.

Just use some very heavy curtains "theater style" and close them up when playing and open them up when not playing..

Attachments

• curtains.jpg
    curtains.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 76

GypsyGraphics

I plan on spend some time this weekend pricing several of the options suggest.

I do like the theater style curtains idea, maybe for the opposite wall as well. The half of the room you can't see is where the TVs are and i know the kids would like the idea of being able to block out the light from those windows when they are gaming.

If i need to so what iSign said, and cover another wall, so of any two surfaces that face each other, one has some kind of sound absorber, then i'll pad either the wall on the music end or the tv end.

This may be something i do in steps, as i'm able to see how well each thing does at muffling the sound. Unfortunately, doing a 25' wall and those three openings in heavy fabric, is probably gonna be expensive. Even some of the insulation panels that aren't expensive alone, will get expensive once i start covering them to make them look good.

So i'm still now sure what to do, but it seems like, not matter what i do, it's going to be expensive.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If your budget is really thin just put one of these by the entry door to the house........

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• music-fix.jpg
    music-fix.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 87

signgal

Loving the look of the heavy theater style curtains and the simplicity... (duh *face palm*) you might could tack some blankets up there to see how well it will work before you spend the money, GG

sardocs

I don't know how much we spent "soundproofing" my jam-space. I totally filled all the spaces between the wall studs with Safe 'n' Sound insulation in the ceiling, all the walls and carpeted the floor. We built a partition wall 9" thick to separate the music side from the sign side. This wall had the sound insulation woven through the studs that were acoustically "broken" to minimize vibration through the wall. The door into the room looks like it came from a submarine. Windows had second glass panels installed at some special angle to minimize escaping Db's. When we close the door it has that instant damping effect so we can't hear anything from anywhere else in the house. That being said, outside in the yard you can hear the band rehearsing, plain as day. And we play country, blues, and hillbilly, not hard rock. I don't think anything you hang on a wall or over an opening will give you much more than privacy.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
How about some heavy velvet curtains like theatrical drapes are made of?
They soak up a bunch of sound, and could look quite nice since you can get them in all sorts of colors.