• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Gold Question...

NewSignmaker

I have a job to letter a local city police car. The badge and a small star/stripe on the car will be done in the 22kt sign gold. I have never used this material before. The catalog says it needs to be edge sealed. I was thinking about putting a layer of 751 clear over the entire badge overlapping 1/4 inch. Will this be sufficient to edge seal it?

The police officer told me the last shop that lettered it had trouble with the badge sticking until they put a layer of regular vinyl down and then the sign gold on top of it. Has anyone else had this trouble? Any suggestions for cutting and/or working with the sign gold material?

Thanks!

wrapworld2

I do lots of police cars fire engines ambulances and emergency equipment ....... I personally like to use a background color of usually black behind all my 22 kt-
24kt GOLD....... seems to work out a lot better when applying and uninstalling after years of being on. lot less issues just be easy with the gold.... really easy to mess it up........ use really good transfer tape as well less likely for damage. you will be glad you used a background color directly to surface, especially when or if you take it off.....
and reflective....... well thats a whole different problem in its self.....lol good luck

Pat Whatley

Never had a problem with it sticking. You can always test a small piece first and if it's a problem mount it on vinyl first. I wouldn't edge seal it that way personally. Get the edge sealing pen and just run it around the edges.

Jillbeans

I was always told that nothing will stick to the (tedlar?) top/clear layer of SignGold.
You can also edge seal using 1-shot's UV clear and a fine brush.
I think what's in the Seal-It pen is Frog Juice.
I wouldn't put a clear layer over the SignGold for any reason.
Love....Jill
PS
I can't seem to find the SignGold website anymore, was going to post a link.

NewSignmaker

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will go the black background route and edge seal it using the pen.

I do have some black cast I need to overlay over the top of the gold. Jills comment makes me wonder if I will have trouble with the black sticking to the gold. Anyone else have any experience with this being a problem?

Thanks again.

Billct2

If you're using regular signgold nothing is supposed to stick to it, so we do a reverse weed and apply the gold to the black, then edge seal it with the pen.
If you use the thermal printable you can lay a clear vinyl overlay to protect it.

NewSignmaker

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Has anyone used the oracal 383 ultra leaf? How does it cut and compare to the signgold? Does it look close? Easier to work with?

Jillbeans

Yes, I have used it.
It's easier to cut and weed, and far less costly.
But it doesn't look nearly as nice (in my opinion)
It's kinda honky-tonk/flashy looking...sort of a rainbowy kinda cast to it.
It doesn't have as long of an outdoor durability as SignGold.
It's kind of like Payless hooker heels vs. Jimmy Choo.

NewSignmaker

Yes, I have used it.
It's easier to cut and weed, and far less costly.
But it doesn't look nearly as nice (in my opinion)
It's kinda honky-tonk/flashy looking...sort of a rainbowy kinda cast to it.
It doesn't have as long of an outdoor durability as SignGold.
It's kind of like Payless hooker heels vs. Jimmy Choo.

lol...good analogy. I think I'll stick with the signgold.

I will reverse cut the badge to allow the black cast vinyl background to show through. My only concern is sealing it. Everyone seems to like the seal it pen but with all the detail and lettering in the badge is there a better, faster alternative to the pen? Maybe a spray or larger brush to go over the entire thing instead of outlining each detail?

Thanks again.