Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign Gold Question...

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by NewSignmaker, May 17, 2011.

1. NewSignmaker

NewSignmaker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Downs, ks
    I have a job to letter a local city police car. The badge and a small star/stripe on the car will be done in the 22kt sign gold. I have never used this material before. The catalog says it needs to be edge sealed. I was thinking about putting a layer of 751 clear over the entire badge overlapping 1/4 inch. Will this be sufficient to edge seal it?

The police officer told me the last shop that lettered it had trouble with the badge sticking until they put a layer of regular vinyl down and then the sign gold on top of it. Has anyone else had this trouble? Any suggestions for cutting and/or working with the sign gold material?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. wrapworld2

wrapworld2 Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Cookeville, TN
    I do lots of police cars fire engines ambulances and emergency equipment ....... I personally like to use a background color of usually black behind all my 22 kt-
    24kt GOLD....... seems to work out a lot better when applying and uninstalling after years of being on. lot less issues just be easy with the gold.... really easy to mess it up........ use really good transfer tape as well less likely for damage. you will be glad you used a background color directly to surface, especially when or if you take it off.....
    and reflective....... well thats a whole different problem in its self.....lol good luck

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Never had a problem with it sticking. You can always test a small piece first and if it's a problem mount it on vinyl first. I wouldn't edge seal it that way personally. Get the edge sealing pen and just run it around the edges.

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I was always told that nothing will stick to the (tedlar?) top/clear layer of SignGold.
    You can also edge seal using 1-shot's UV clear and a fine brush.
    I think what's in the Seal-It pen is Frog Juice.
    I wouldn't put a clear layer over the SignGold for any reason.
    Love....Jill
    PS
    I can't seem to find the SignGold website anymore, was going to post a link.

5. NewSignmaker

NewSignmaker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Downs, ks
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will go the black background route and edge seal it using the pen.

I do have some black cast I need to overlay over the top of the gold. Jills comment makes me wonder if I will have trouble with the black sticking to the gold. Anyone else have any experience with this being a problem?

Thanks again.

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    If you're using regular signgold nothing is supposed to stick to it, so we do a reverse weed and apply the gold to the black, then edge seal it with the pen.
    If you use the thermal printable you can lay a clear vinyl overlay to protect it.

7. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    if you have questions contact Larry Hoppe at
    larrysigngold@msn.com

good luck its a good product sell it as so.

JR

8. NewSignmaker

NewSignmaker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Downs, ks
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Has anyone used the oracal 383 ultra leaf? How does it cut and compare to the signgold? Does it look close? Easier to work with?

9. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Yes, I have used it.
    It's easier to cut and weed, and far less costly.
    But it doesn't look nearly as nice (in my opinion)
    It's kinda honky-tonk/flashy looking...sort of a rainbowy kinda cast to it.
    It doesn't have as long of an outdoor durability as SignGold.
    It's kind of like Payless hooker heels vs. Jimmy Choo.

10. NewSignmaker

NewSignmaker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Downs, ks
    lol...good analogy. I think I'll stick with the signgold.

I will reverse cut the badge to allow the black cast vinyl background to show through. My only concern is sealing it. Everyone seems to like the seal it pen but with all the detail and lettering in the badge is there a better, faster alternative to the pen? Maybe a spray or larger brush to go over the entire thing instead of outlining each detail?

Thanks again.