• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign gold

Kottwitz-Graphics

I was asked to reletter a boat, and use the same material that was there. what the original sign guy used was a florentine pattern gold. the gold is not a bright gold, but a more "washed out" tone.

could it be faded out, or is it a satin type of material?

normally I wouldn't worry about it, but there is a 1/2" stripe down the side (continuous piece) and part of it has been rubbed off from a bumper, and I am going to repair it, and I don't want a bright gold patch on a satin type of material.

Johnny Best

I use the Real Gold metal vinyl films out of Deland, FL and their florentine is high gloss so a patch would show up if the one on there is satin.

Last edited:

unclebun

I'm not sure what you are talking about with "faded" and "satin". If it is truly faded, then it's not real Sign Gold. That doesn't fade. It's more likely Avery Florentine swirl gold or Variegated Gold (which is also made by R-Tape), which use a silver colored foil beneath a transparent yellow laminate. If the transparent yellow fades, they'll be a less yellow gold color, more tan to silver. If the issue is that the gloss is gone from people using polishes on it or just from age and UV deterioration, then it could be either real Sign Gold or one of the imitations.

Billct2

Everything fades, especially if you're on the ocean. Almost impossible to match any material that's been exposed for any amount of time.