• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign help ????

2xcapers

Hi folks,

Heres my situation.

I'm helping out a friend with their business. They have a 30" X 96" sign from the previous business. Its ply core with steel. It has been printed and appears to be laminated

It is yellow with Blue/purplish letters / image. They want me to cover it in Vinyl then Letter it. I wet applied a lay of yellow over it (they wanted the same color background) .

PROBLEM... the bluish image and letters are visible through the yellow. :banghead: How can I save them and this project. :frustrated:

Any help?

Vic

Jillbeans

Yellow is transparent.
You could have tried a darker vinyl.
Or try flipping the old sign and using the back if it is OK.
But the best way would have been to just use a new substrate.
Alumalite is about $100/sheet and you'd have no d!cking around trying to re-use something.
Love....Jill

thmooch

Chalk this one up to learning experience. Might have been easier to use 040 Aluminum to cover the sign with the new graphics applied. Covering existing vinyl/lam in an exterior environment with more vinyl is asking for trouble. So, either try another layer of yellow or 040.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
what jill said....and never apply over top of other graphics like that....it's just asking for trouble....worst case, remove what's there...don't apply on top of it....

you don't know the grade of material used previously, and if it's only got a five year life...has been up a couple already...your friend won't get much out of cause when the layers underneath start to fail, the layers you just put on will too....

do it right...get a new pc of substrate....

2xcapers

Thanks,

I just peeled everything off to the White aluminum. Gonna be red on white (yellow taken out of the Equation)

Thanks