• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Install without drilling through the face

Tonyfavs

I am doing a carved sign with gold leaf and I am wondering how to install the sign without drilling into the face. I've seen a lot of different brackets but I'm not entirely sure which is the best way to go.

There will be 2 signs on each side of 2 4x4's. The signs are 3'x10' on 3/4 komacel.

J Hill Designs

like this maybe?

edit: crew = screw

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 120

Mosh

What material, redwood, cedar, hdu?
countersink and fill the holes if it is in a painted area of the sign.

SignManiac

Cleats would be my choice. Also, be careful with Komacel. Expansion and contraction could bite you in the aZZ with the climate you have in N.Y. Especially if your background is a dark color. Make sure whatever fastener you use, can breathe...

Billct2

I think you are going to have some difficulties with both the signs and install. 3'x10'x3/4" PVC on two 4"x4"s may be susceptible to cracking, especially in the winter. I would bond them to something like dibond and/or run a couple angles ot tubes across the back. This would add rigidity and give you a fastening point.

signguy 55

3' x 10' is a lot of weight and a lot of stress on any sign. Since you're installing on 2 x 4s I would countersink screws and fill the holes with decorative rosettes or caps like you see old Norm Abrams use in his furniture construction. Once painted they would be virtually invisible. I would have 2'x4s going cross ways as well to reduce the stress.

The customer needs to know about the dangers of the sign failing if not properly installed. You may have to stick to your guns on this one if the customer demands an installation that may fail.

Tonyfavs

So the best way to go about this would be not to use PVC? Our router guy was saying to use PVC because "The wood does not hold up over the years and it is not flat"

I always felt MDO would be better in this case because its more ridged and the whole not expanding as much. Just wanting a few opinions on the proper material.

Thanks all!

SignManiac

PVC is great if you understand it's limitations and know how to work with it. I've seen PVC shatter like glass in freezing conditions. Whatever you do, DON'T tighten your hardware down. You need to drill oversize holes and allow the material to slide or move as it expands and contracts. Otherwise it will buckle and crack on you.

Billct2

I would use at least 1" HDU with a backer panel and/or angle or tube supports, 3/4" is kinda thin for a carved sign.

Tonyfavs

So A bracket like this one with the oblong opening (screwed to the PVC) should work?

Attachments

• 2012-03-13_12-40-30_164.jpg
    2012-03-13_12-40-30_164.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 112

FS-Keith

no dont use a galvanized 2x2 L clip. Use some alum angle. And do not use 3/4" pvc for a 30sqft sign on posts. its going to warp and look like crap in under 6 months. HDU or extira is a much better substrate for outdoor sign use.