• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Installation Request from Out of State Sign Company

CanDoASign4U

Recent request from an out of state sign company to do an install within several miles of my shop and looking for advice on pitfalls to avoid and tips from experiences of others.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I get these all the time. Only real pitfalls I've ever had was sometimes getting them to pay. Most want NET30 or longer and I just don't do that. I've had to chase big $$ and small money, well known companies and no-names... so I usually get them to pay in advance in full if it's under 2 or 3k. Over 3k I do 50% deposit and the remainder NET0. If I'm removing signs I get full payment prior to scheduling no mater how much it is. MOST companies comply with our requests (some not so easily) Once someone wouldn't do business with us because of it and guess who it was... a company that I had to hustle money from in the past!

CanDoASign4U

Not many avenues to collect an out of state debt without a lot of expense. Thank you for your response and advice Texas_Signmaker!

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Deposits up front. I had a recent job were I got a 2 location full sign package but the GC called me out when the subs did not have their parts ready for us, so they became 100%. Just emailed corporate for a sales rep asking me to do a project, but no PO no deposit , so there is no work preformed by us. I tell them when they get sketchy, that I do repo signs.
Best other advise is we take complete before and after pictures and load it to outl google drive and send customer a link.

ChicagoGraphics

I use to do vinyl installs mainly on the pylon signs in the bigger shopping malls throughout Chicago from 2 different compaines one from New York and the other from Califorina, all I had to do was take a couple of pictures then send them in and was paid within a week.

asd

we do this every now and then and we ask for at least 50% down and balance when we are done, we always get paid.

Rocco G

We do a whole lot of work for national companies like this. In fact it's my main line of work. As noted above you MUST check out the reputation of the company at the syndicate. There are a few to avoid like the plague and until you've done this for a long time that other site is a godsend. The list is too long of deadbeats to go into here. Also, net 30 or 45 is normal anymore but you can often work out a deal like 2% discount if paid in ten days etc. Tell the ones who insist on net 90 or 120 to take a hike.

Make sure to outline everything in your quote. Permit fees, licenses (if you need to pay a local license "tax" instead of a state license), engineering, etc. are all usually billed at cost. Don't forget to price out the permitting at an hourly rate instead of a flat fee. The permit might be an over the counter 15 min affair or require several trips to the township, sealed plans, electrical seal, etc. Permitting can cost more than the job in some cases. The survey fee is always an extra, though some will only pay XXX dollars for a survey. Oh, and the ones who ask you to install without a permit, tell them to walk as well. You are the one responsible, not them no matter what kind of "waiver" they throw at you.

On change orders get it in writing BEFORE doing the work. Take extensive photos of the work when done. Get a sign-off sheet from the GC or manager onsite and insist they print their name next to their scribble. And know how to file a lien on the property if it comes to it.

fresh

Make sure you are very clear in the scope of work. We recently did an install where they thought there was access between the facade and buidling, but there wasn't. The sign was made wrong and should have been on a raceway (like all the other signs in the plaza.) It took us a lot longer to install than we anticipated AND they had to hire another electrician to figure out how to wire it. We wrote in our quote we would not do any electrical work and the electrician needed to do the final connection, but for some reason the "electrian went back to texas, but he checked everything and it works." Not only that, there was an issue with the wires that were there from the old box and even if all the other problems didn't exsist, we still wouldn't have been able to connect it.

So just be clear in what you willing to do and you shouldn't get burned.

JaySea20

We do quite a bit of work for national companies. Just make sure you follow their instructions exactly. Like getting pictures of the work and survey. otherwise they may not pay. It can be a good thing if you get in with the right companies for sub work. Good Luck!