Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign Mounting on Metal Wall

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Rebel Graphics, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Rebel Graphics

Rebel Graphics Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Kissimmee, FL
    I’m making a custom size price board for a gas station and the wall has a metal panel. What will be the best way to mount it? Most likely the sign will be 30”x30” PVC panel with a letter track to change the prices (open to suggestions)

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'd use an ACM panel, probably on a 1x1 Tube frame, then mount with clips. Beware, those panels could be steel, even porcelainized steel, which can be a bear to drill in.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TSC1985

TSC1985 Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Oregon
    Just self tapping metal screws, if steel predrill. Or if you really want to wow them you can make (or have any metal shop make) a 1" tube frame and attach that to the steel.

I would use ACM or aluminum sign however, PVC will warp in any direct sun.

4. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    If it's thin paneling, self tappers wont' work. If it's thicker or mostly metal it will. If there is concrete behind it, just use 1/4" lag shields.

5. Rebel Graphics

Rebel Graphics Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Kissimmee, FL
    Good info here. I like the idea of the frame and ACM.. back to the drawing board!

6. Rebel Graphics

Rebel Graphics Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Kissimmee, FL
    So basically this is what they want with a rigid letter track and changeable numbers.... so plan is 1” Aluminum frame with 3mm acm double sided with either printed or cut vinyl... sounds good?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I don't like this idea. The ACM will scratch when you change out the letters. Use polycarbonate or lexan.

8. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    why do they want this? Do they not have a sign by road that depicts prices? screw the damn track to the metal posty thing and let it be all in one for their letters

9. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Looks good, materials should be fine.

10. Rebel Graphics

Rebel Graphics Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Kissimmee, FL
    Texas: this will be exposed to the elements 24/7 thats why it was suggested the acm.

Visual800: Cash price signs are not provided by the company and client doesnt want numbers just slapped on a wall.

All: any $$ ballpark for this job? They will be 2 boxes for now and I have estimated about $80 worth of materials

11. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Ah OK, no worries your right. Poly and lexan cant be used 24/7...only 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. Go with the ACM it will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I agree. Polycarbonate with a nice second surface reverse print would be very nice and ultra durable.