• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Paint?

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Any suggestions for any brand of exterior paint to go on existing metal sign? Ive attached the pic of existing. I will need to paint the top and bottom brown sections of the sign.. its some sort of metal.. doesnt feel like aluminum but doesnt feel like steel. I dont know what it is. And the brand of paint needs to be able to be color matched to the yellow max metal panels.

client wants a hodge podge sign consisting of max metal panels covering 8' sections.. which leaves about 4' on each side. He is foreign and doesnt want to spend money.. so there is a communication barrier on two levels.

Basically I will be painting the exposed brown sections that the yellow 8' panels wont cover. They ask.. I just do what they want when theres no getting through to them.

Attachments

• IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At first, I thought it was covered in guano, but then I realized it was snowing. :Big Laugh

Do you realize, you have to practically scrape and get ALL of the old paint off, before you prime and top coat it ?? Otherwise, it will continue peeling and you'll be the blame.

You also have neon all around. Are you going to remove that in order to paint ??

Once you scrape it and have it clean a a good oil-based primer on the metal should work and I'd use an industrial grade oil-based paint from any of your local paint stores.

Most likely, it's galvanized, so ask at your local store what they have and can recommend in stock.

Billct2

I assume they won't fix the neon so make sure the electric service to the neon is cut off-permanently.
If it's rusty spot prime with POR15, if it's not then what Gino said.

Jillbeans

I like Ronan's Speednamel, but it may not come in those poopy looking colors.
:)
Maybe just regular old Rustoleum enamel.
Love....Jill

OldPaint

your post makes more questions that cant be answered untill you get a littlemore clear on what your talking about!!!! WE SEE THE EXISTING SIGN. how tall and how wide is it? iam guessing its 2 sided. this makes no sense to me:
client wants a hodge podge sign consisting of max metal panels covering 8' sections.. which leaves about 4' on each side.
please clarify your intentions here. your talking MAX METAL? put it over the existing sign? why yellow panels? where did they come into the job?
IF A MAGNET STICKS TO IT, its STEEL, if it dont ITS ALUMINUM. IF ITS GALVANIZED, you will see that. NEED MO INFO.

Mosh

None! pass on it, Trust me, no matter what you do, YOU WILL BE BACK THERE in 6 months to "fix" something...trust me, I know the type of customer. The type that dictates how you do a sign and on the cheap....PASS and save a hassle!

visual800

Oh hell nawwww. Mark my words you will be blamed for lights being out, pole rusting and bad cellular reception. You will be best to pass on this job and for future stay away from these folks!

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
would've passed if I were the brass around here. I am not.. therefore I abide. I did however send everyone's suggestion to the boss and was given the yeah right face. It will be ugly.. we will not post on web. oh well.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
and for the record.. now they want sheets of white max metal to piece over the existing faces of the sign... that dont cover the entire face.. and have a large cut decal logo going on in the center of the middle hob job. and when it all goes wrong, im sure we will hear back from them. not a proud moment in my trigger pulling experience. but what they want.. they get. and if it's their design on a dime.. ok.

total cousin/uncle/nephew theory.. I got a *insert so and so* who says this will be fine. do this.

Ok. Now im just a printer/finisher for this one. sub the install and move on with life. I will now just avoid that area of town altogether as not to be reminded of the mess. I will definitely post a pic of the disaster for everyone to have a humor boost.

Deaton Design

After I read the line...he doesnt want to spend money...I didnt think any further. People like that want to cheapen what we do. Best to let them find someone else that doesnt care to work for nothing....pass....

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Best worst thing to happen to me...

lost my job over this. which was probably for the best considering how things were ran and how blame is distributed. I knew it was a set up from the jump... Everything everyone predicted came true and when that client was dissatisfied and tried to pin replacing all the neon, paint, and sign on the company the ax fell on the only person it could fall on. party on!

Billct2

Sorry to hear it cost you your job, but like they say every time one door closes....

Everything everyone predicted came true
Just want to highlight this for all the people that come on here looking for advice and suggestions
and then tell say we're a bunch of angry frustrated old timers who are afraid of new competitors.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Sorry to hear it cost you your job, but like they say every time one door closes....

Just want to highlight this for all the people that come on here looking for advice and suggestions
and then tell say we're a bunch of angry frustrated old timers who are afraid of new competitors.

Thanks! No worries. This happened in March, 3 days after this original post was made. Im not looking for sympathy... just updating where I left off. And you're right about the door window theory... There were some opportunities I would have had to pass on had I still be there. The way I look at it is I cut teeth on someone else's time and was paid for it, I expanded my skill sets and combined that with my freelance experience and knew exactly what NOT to do when coming out flying solo, and I have more friends and loyal clients in this industry than I thought. So really, I should write them a thank you letter.

Also, I explained this scenario out to those folks before we ever moved on it. I even joked that if this blows back up like more experienced folks say it will, it will be my job that gets chopped because you'll be trying to show you've "handled the situation." Shoot, I found out early on that Signs101 is full of hecklers and hard times, but its all worth it to get insight into real experience. Plus if you're even remotely clever and have some sort of sense of humor matched with simple intelligence, you can read right through the jokes and gripes to find out exactly what you were wanting to know. If you sensitive ones cant take a joke on the internet, you wont have the grit to make it in this over-saturated, cut throat industry in an even harsher market.

Took some time for me, got my own show rolling and still always looking for advice and experienced answers to my questions...

hence why i am back!

Craig Sjoquist

Wow bunch of people thinks pass ...lol lol just to funny ... easy job for me do it all day long

Latex will work fine ....Scrap, light sanding, clean, paint with quality latex Primer where necessary ...Paint with good quality latex color, letter with same, UV clear coat if pay or job is worth it.

On outside I've mostly switched to latex mostly local brands, here in Orlando we have had Colorwheel which just was bought again by Shermen Williams & now the people that created Colorwheel & sold it to the Mexicans several years ago, last year created a new paint co. & are opening stores.

Anyway brands of latex I use are .. 1st Sherman Williams & Colorwheel & Ronans Aquacoat easy to get local.

More artsy stuff & monies paid for like murals etc. Nova Color & Modern Masters those 2 have HIGH pigments color will last forever kinda.

Be it 1 Shot or latex I'll UV clear coat now as long as I charge for it ...using Modern Masters or... Ronans Aquathane, or .. Frog Juice

In Orlando or near ..& ya don't want to do the job ... I will

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Springfield ...is that anywhere near ..Kewanee IL. .. come July 10th - 14th .. Walldog Meet, 15 murals 200 painters at present all using Nova Color come join the FUN & learn at same time it is the most awesome time you will ever have with a brush & meeting others. & this one is the 20th anniversary

Be glad to say hello & work with ya.