• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Painter the Movie, panel discussion

Jane Diaz

This is just in from the sign painter movie screening in Champaign IL a few weeks ago. :smile:

[video=youtube;khkCXlteg5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khkCXlteg5o&amp=&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkhkCXlteg5o&app=desktop[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jillbeans

Hoping to see the movie in Pittsburgh next week.
Hoping that painted signs really are making a comeback.
Love....jill
PS
always glad to see my peeps Bill, Cornbread, and Mikey.

Dan Antonelli

I saw the movie two weeks ago. Loved it. My only minor criticism however that there seemed to focus on old signpainters being either on drugs, or using alcohol. I felt it was not really a fair characterization, and it detracted from the primary message. Just didn't think it was even necessary to go down that path. I'm sure every craft has people who might fit the description, but it didn't serve to elevate the great work those before us did by having that as part of the takeaway. I spoke to several others after the screening who also felt the same.

Great movie overall - I thought it was going to be available on DVD if it's not already.

SignManiac

There are just as many people in the business today that are young who do drugs and and also drink. I bet you would be surprised if we knew the actual numbers. It seems to be a common character trait with many creative people. Probably why so many are good at what they do. If it's the truth then I don't see how it hurts the industry. We're no different than Hollywood or the music industry. I can't recall the last time I met an artist who didn't like to partake in one thing or another.

Jane Diaz

I'm with Dan on this one! I don't think it helps our industry to be portrayed as the old stereotype of "Joe Wino". I think most good, working sign shops HAVE to be sober and "with it" to make a living. That doesn't mean that you should never ever drink but to be portrayed as a drunk or high at work really isn't an image a company should put out there. But then that is true for ANY business.

Dan Antonelli

To a certain degree, it's an interesting history. The early sign painters, in the 20s, 30s, are more portrayed as advertising folks who created campaigns for companies. These professionals were considered to be true creative geniuses, as the success of the companies who commissioned them were based on their creative talents. Then, later in the movie, they seem to be more about the stereotypes, and subsequent downfall. It's interesting to see how some of those stereotypes persist today.

I don't agree that many creatives , artists or otherwise, share a common trait about being on something. For me, its another stereotype that doesn't help perception of what it is, and how it is some of us do things.

Craig Sjoquist

Although it is easy to agree with ya Dan & Jane, it is also consider the source & the final effect.
When the movie was created, filmed, & made by Fayette & Sam on there own dollar, gathering what they could from such greats as Keith K. & many others that are not into heavy drinking or drugging.

& all negative thoughts anyway, just added was some life to movie that could have been exciting as watching paint dry, after all how many chuckled a bit smiled & wondered, did ya shed a tear or two, yes I thought they did a great job at getting a cross section of the industry & in showing how diverse, educated, independent, inspiring, community minded, & the strength of the American people, this movie shows.

Jane Diaz

I agree Craig, it was a great movie, don't get me wrong. But it's sort of like any movie or TV show. A little controversy or negative in there creates a "stir". But I just think that old "Joe Wino story" is not something that our industry benefits from and it surely doesn't help our image of professionals.

Stanton

I could see when the brush was dragging.

"wet the heal !!!"

I charge a premium for 'hand lettered' signs now.
When I get bored. I take on a commission.

I look like those old men. And share their attitude.

Get off my lawn you damn kids !!!!!

:Big Laugh

phototec

Nice (movie) trailer, I can't wait to get the DVD, I like the bumper sticker reference, "machines have no soul".

Here is another good video about Sign Writers:

[video=vimeo;81921161]http://vimeo.com/81921161[/video]

:thumb:

TimToad

I can't judge the film because I'm waiting to invite a couple other local brush pushers over to watch the film, but I'm thinking nothing short of a miracle and a very unlikely showing on PBS, this film's audience will be almost exclusively folks involved in the craft somehow.

While I don't want to negate the concerns of those here worried about our "image", our craft's history is what it is and it can't be sanitized and stay truthful and honest. Despite hundreds of years of urban legend and mythology regarding the transient, unreliable and inebriated state of some in our craft, most of us who work hard, maintain our integrity and sobriety if that's what gets you through the night can and have succeeded.

Do any of you think less of Woody Guthrie's contributions to both America and our craft because of his barnstorming days as an itinerant sign painter? He wasn't exactly a saint, or unknown to saloon work.

Judging from the enormous success Dan's hard work has reaped for himself, somehow I don't think even the most judgmental or cynical viewer of this film would be swayed to NOT use his services based on a perception of us all being drunks and stoners.

Jwalk

I was hoping to see the movie in my home town Toronto, missed it then had a chance at the viewing it in buffalo missed that too. I have downloaded it and watched it . Great movie!

I personally didn't have the drug part way so much on me the lasting thing for me was how the industry has changed.