• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Painters (official trailer)

xxaxx

No, but you want us to read your 8 paragraphs of dribble on when to work and for how much money to make and hey look at my website for the tenth time. "If you live in a glass house, do not throw stones".

I was thinking the same thing when I read that thread ... I was confused at what his point was, then realized it was like taking a Sunday trip to church sermon.

jkdbjj

You know what? I realize not everybody is going to get along. Not everyone is going to be the same kind of people.
What is wrong with leaving people alone if you don't like them?

John, it is real tempting to call you out and address your big mouth comments. I fly into your neck of the woods Saturday and will be there a week. If you really have that much emotion bottled up towards me, I think you should really get it all out. I would rather that be in person though, so I can better understand where you are coming from.

However, rather than call you out, I am going to be better than that, and just remain puzzled at why you are so hostile towards people and maybe life in general, but to each his own. I just wish the personal drama would disappear on this forum.

tsgstl

You know what? I realize not everybody is going to get along. Not everyone is going to be the same kind of people.
What is wrong with leaving people alone if you don't like them?

John, it is real tempting to call you out and address your big mouth comments. I fly into your neck of the woods Saturday and will be there a week. If you really have that much emotion bottled up towards me, I think you should really get it all out. I would rather that be in person though, so I can better understand where you are coming from.

However, rather than call you out, I am going to be better than that, and just remain puzzled at why you are so hostile towards people and maybe life in general, but to each his own. I just wish the personal drama would disappear on this forum.

Good lord, where did this thread go??
Besides didn't you call Colorado your "prison bxxch" once? You guys seem chummy now so just give it time.

xxaxx

I just wish the personal drama would disappear on this forum.

You can choose to not acknowledge it and I am sure it would go away for you pretty quickly. He made a small comment about one of your threads and you are going off about it like he insulted your children or something. You may be working too much. :rolleyes:

jkdbjj

Gees, guys calm down. I am not being serious at all here.
John you are entitled to be a p***k, have at it. I could care less if you love, hate, or whatever my threads or me.

Back to the movie, I hope it is not a bunch of crabby old guys whining about change. I hope instead it is an experience and chance to see some really cool work!

Last edited by a moderator:

jkdbjj

I may be off here, but I am assuming his name stands for Jeet Kune Do / Brazillian Jui Jitsu ... so probably best to avoid the face to face meeting haha. :Big Laugh
That is what my name means, but that doesn't mean I know how to fight. I could just be a huge fan of the sport, and watch on my couch etc...

jkdbjj

Good lord, where did this thread go??
Besides didn't you call Colorado your "prison bxxch" once? You guys seem chummy now so just give it time.
I agree, but I didn't start this. Granted I could have just ignored it, but that is a part in my life I am still working on. Bad habits are hard to break. Use to be if someone talked ****, I would simply beat their ***. These days you can't do that, for one you get arrested to easily, and secondly my wife hates it when I fight.

xxaxx

That is what my name means, but that doesn't mean I know how to fight. I could just be a huge fan of the sport, and watch on my couch etc...

True that is possible, but I have learned to never take my chances :tongue: ... I have taken a little over a year of bjj classes before and had my *** kicked by unassuming skinny teenagers and old men alike hehe.

TammieH

I believe it was around 1989 when I first heard about computer made vinyl lettering, I was one of those who said "how can computers ever replace sign painters?" Computer generated signs did take away a lot of the monotonous hand lettering and it also saves some shoulder pain. But I do agree, for the most part there is nothing like a well done hand lettered sign...especially like some of the old masters could create. I use to love to watch an old show card artist go to work, he use to do a lot of stuff for a few sign companies around Cincy...maybe someone could refresh my memory..."name?"

On the other hand I do believe there are some nice designs being created these days...they're not the same as old school but they do hold their own...especially when someone gets creative with fonts so they look less mechanical.

Joe Diaz

I think it's fair enough to say that there are a bunch of "crabby old guy's whining about change" out there. But I've actually had the pleasure of meeting some of the folks in that trailer, so if the movie features them, I don't think it's going to be a negative film at all.

That being said, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle of the "old" and "new" probably a little closer to the new... but I can definitely see it from both points of view. I feel like there are much more people who are new and scared to learn the many valuable lessons of design and craftsmanship that can be learned from our industries rich past, and so they sometimes act as if they have something to prove. That they also have something valuable to bring to the table. At times they (we) might overcompensate when we should just sit back and listen.

The old timers could learn a thing or two as well. The funny thing is some of the sign makers and artist that I really look up to, my heros, don't seem to worry so much about the old and the new and what others are doing, they're too busy finding ways to use any technology they can to do the best work they can.

Whichever technology or tool you use, there is a lot of knowledge that can be taught and learned from both the past and the future of this industry. We just all have to learn to push our egos aside for the time being so we don't miss it. That's why I believe this film is going to be a great one to own. I'm looking forward to it.

jkdbjj

I think it's fair enough to say that there are a bunch of "crabby old guy's whining about change" out there. But I've actually had the pleasure of meeting some of the folks in that trailer, so if the movie features them, I don't think it's going to be a negative film at all.

That being said, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle of the "old" and "new" probably a little closer to the new... but I can definitely see it from both points of view. I feel like there are much more people who are new and scared to learn the many valuable lessons of design and craftsmanship that can be learned from our industries rich past, and so they sometimes act as if they have something to prove. That they also have something valuable to bring to the table. At times they (we) might overcompensate when we should just sit back and listen.

The old timers could learn a thing or two as well. The funny thing is some of the sign makers and artist that I really look up to, my heros, don't seem to worry so much about the old and the new and what others are doing, they're too busy finding ways to use any technology they can to do the best work they can.

Whichever technology or tool you use, there is a lot of knowledge that can be taught and learned from both the past and the future of this industry. We just all have to learn to push our egos aside for the time being so we don't miss it. That's why I believe this film is going to be a great one to own. I'm looking forward to it.
Well said!
I just ordered the book I see a lot of people bashing lately, Mastering Layouts. I'm with you, if there is a chance to learn something, I am all for it.

Somewhat similarly, my friend in DC just launched a movie, about a famous graffiti artist "Disco Dan", and it is amazing how much creativity goes into graffiti art, and how many talented people there are doing graffiti. Again, not a typical place people would look to for inspiration. Speaking of inspiration, that is what I will be looking for in the film!

SignManiac

I am of both worlds. I began nearly forty years ago as a traditional lettering artist. Ten years later I adopted that very first Gerber box and also heard many an old timer state that no computer could replace a trained sign painter, but.... I knew better. I was a visionary and it was like an epiphany, I knew the future was about to change.

At that time there were just as many hack signpainters. Brush or computer, didn't matter. If you did not understand design and layout, your signs were gonna suck whether you painted it or plotted it.

The same holds true today. I would bet that 80% of the people in the business today have never taken one class on the basics of sign design. This is why our communities are being visually and graphically turned into the greatest eye sore the planet has ever known. And it isn't about to change anytime soon.

True sign artists are few and far between. Hopefully one day we will see a shift in that attitude, but only if the newbies are compelled to take some pride in their work. This forum hopefully will show those what the real possibilities are as an art form.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I edited my previous comment towards him, because rather then resort to personal attacks I decided not too. Doesn't this site need more of that? Instead I decided to ask what I did to him to **** him off.

Not sure why you dislike that?

gino you're mad he took his rude comment back? why?

You both miss the point, huh ??

I, for one have only edited posts when I misspell something or used a wrong word. I've never altered my posts except to delete one, if I was in the wrong thread and posted something stoopidly.

But these people that start yellin' sh!t and then realize how stoopid they were, after many people have read it and then deny what they wrote and take a different approach because of how silly they sounded just burns my a**. This guy is calling another member all kinds of names when in his earlier post he was worse than the guy he's calling out. So, how is that sh!t any different ?? He gets to do it and take it back to make himself feel better. Give me a frickin' break.
Ya know color, I don't know why you keep coming to these underdog's rescue, but sometimes it just makes you look bad, too. :Big Laugh
We all have our days and moments, but when some of these mental midgets flip-flop from thread to thread or day to day..... doesn't it make you wonder what their foundation in life or business really is ??

Just in this thread..... he gives Craig kudos for his post.... I come along and write something, then he wants to claim that as it was his thinking, also. Why didn't he say it to begin with ??

I have nothing against jkdbjj whatsoever, but when someone keeps pulling the same prank over and over, it gets old..... as he put it like the old timers whining about computer nerdetts.

That's the part that got me. Here's a good thread about sign painting, techniques and what have ya.... and he has to interject a negativity he knew would bring the oldsters out of the woodwork.
In fact, before this whole thing blew up, I even PM'ed Butto for hitting the nail on the head and said I didn't want to turn this thread bad, but jkdbjj managed to do that all by his lonesome.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm confused by this thread.
Back in the day my mom hand painted a complete truck mural for the Nissan dealer here.
I used to hand cut vinyl decals before plotters came out
Who do I side with?....

Looks like a movie worth watching, I wonder how long it will be before it is in wide distribution.

wayne k
guam usa

jkdbjj

That's the part that got me. Here's a good thread about sign painting, techniques and what have ya.... and he has to interject a negativity he knew would bring the oldsters out of the woodwork.
Wow, OK well I understand now.
Guys, I am not that young. I may be younger than some, but I can assure being almost 40, there are plenty on here younger than I.

My comment wasn't suppose to antagonize anyone Gino. It was an honest comment. Documentaries can go many different directions, and one of them is a direction that becomes more of a campaign, like Michael Moore, and can be very biased.
I simply expressed I hoped it showcased the art more than the drama. I am entitled to that opinion. My dad did this kind of work as well, so I have learned from him, woodworking, and several different crafts in my lifetime.

The fact that you seem to know so much about people's intentions, sucks man. You are just wrong on this occasion, and I just don't get it. Maybe I made a mistake on this forum before, but this is just wrong Gino. Plain and simple.

So, how is John, personally attacking me and me making a comment about a movie, the same thing. Just doesn't make sense!