• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Painting Over Finished Wood

kroemer

Hey everyone, new to the forum and new to the world of sign painting. Really glad to be here. I have a ton of questions but this is the topic that's been eating at me for a while and I can't seem to find much online about it - and yet it's an incredibly novice question.

I'm interested in making signs that are done on wood. For the first several signs at least, I'll be staining them with Varathane Fast Drying Early American, and finishing with ZAR Antique Flat Polyurethane.

I attached an image that may make things clearer but my question is primarily in regards to the paints. I know most people use 1 shot or Ronan - If I were to use a lettering enamel like these, can they be applied directly over the Poly like shown in version B? Also, I know some guys recommend using high quality latex paints from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. For those guys, what's the best product to use from either of these companies that would act similar to a lettering enamel - and could these paints be applied directly over the Poly?

A second part of my question is on the base color (for version A). What would be my best option for covering a portion of the wood, that would adhere well over the Poly and also allow for lettering on top without any issues? Prime first? Would I need to sand that area?

I know this is all over the place, and I'm finding it hard to really organize my questions in an easy manner, but this should be a good start for me if anyone has any insights. Looking forward to (virtually) meeting everyone.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sign_example.jpg
    sign_example.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 236

Billct2

These are interior signs?
Lettering enamel will work fine over any sealed wood surface,
For painted panels, just mask off the rectangle, lightly scuff and paint. Pull the tape while wet.
When people talk about using latex they are mostly referring to background finishing and dimensional signs, not lettering.

kroemer

Thanks, yes they're meant to be interior signs. As for the base coat - what's the typical choice? Should I just go with a gloss latex acrylic paint and letter right over that?

These are interior signs?
Lettering enamel will work fine over any sealed wood surface,
For painted panels, just mask off the rectangle, lightly scuff and paint. Pull the tape while wet.
When people talk about using latex they are mostly referring to background finishing and dimensional signs, not lettering.

Billct2

If you're talking about the painted rectangle color I would use the same thing you're lettering with

kroemer

Just so I know, would there be any issues with using a product like Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel Latex Base and then applying lettering on top of that?

If you're talking about the painted rectangle color I would use the same thing you're lettering with

Billct2

Should be Ok as long as it's not one one of those scrubbable paints. But as always test first