• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Permit Questions

signspark1988

Hi Signs101 community,
Has this ever happen to you?
We we're contracted to do a install/permits and we got the permits. It turns out the installation was done behind our backs without letting us know. The permits are under our names so I wonder what options are there for us against this client. I don't want to be liable for anybody's installation.

Rocco G

I had this happen about 35 years ago. We contacted the township and tried to get the permit revoked and our license number changed so it couldn't happen again. TBH, all they did was fine the store owner a few bucks and make them do a change of contactor form. They wouldn't even change our license number.
This was back when my father was running things and it was done on a handshake with a "buddy" of his so we didn't have paperwork with the other company. If you have a contract with the other company then you should be able to go after them, but I'm no lawyer. if nothing else go to the township explaining the situation and ask to have your name removed from the records. It sucks but it did teach me to get everything in writing. Since then, I've had people ask to use my license from time to time and the answer is always not just No but HELL NO. They can hire me to do the work or get their own license.

signage

Like Rocco said make sure you notify the issuing agency that you are not the one that did the install. I would recommend doing it in writing and a registered letter. Also what is in your contract? you might even get paid for it if it was written correctly.

MikePro

a permit is separate from liability.
your name may be on the permit, but the installer & property owner carry the liability.

....buuuut having your name attached to things when they go south, still burdens you to prove you had nothing to do with it when it comes to lawsuits. as mentioned above, there are ways to remove yourself from those records so you don't have to worry about it down the line.

unclebun

Were you paid a deposit before you pulled the permit? If not, you probably just wasted your time and money getting the permit. Who made the sign? Maybe you were too slow and someone got it done before you got the permit. Do you know whether the person who installed it had a permit?