• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign project for kids

Sign Depot

I have been trying to come up with a project for our 4H group to do at our next meeting. The kids all have horses and I was hoping to be able to do something sign related because I have all the equipment and material. I have already made them signs for their horse stalls wih the horses name on them for the fair last year. I want something that could be hands on for them that can be completed in about an hour or less most of the kids are 8-14 years old and there is about 15 of them. If anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks & Happy New Year
Scott

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Make up some decals with their 4H logo they can put on things, maybe their horse trailer or on their school binders. Decals with their names or even some kind of school/local town pride would be nice too.

You could have them weed and mask depending on how old they are, but just applying the decals is pretty cool if you have never done it before, and it's a useful skill to have when they get older and want to put Calvin & Hobbs decals on their trucks. :Big Laugh

MikePro

letter/misc image stencils on paper, blocks of wood, and wood burning irons.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 4.39.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 4.39.18 PM.png
    438.7 KB · Views: 70

phototec

Customize horse blanket

If they all have horses, then they have horse blankets (in Michigan were it gets cold), each kid could customize their horse blanket with the horses name (maybe add a stock 4H logo with the name).

One simple way to do this, is by making a reverse vinyl stencil and using regular Krylon black spray paint (or white on dark blanket).

You let each kid typeset the name of their horse on the computer, letting them select the font they like.

Then you let them watch the plotter make the stencil cutting out the names (you can gang them to cut several at once), using some cheap vinyl.

Now comes the fun part, you cut the different templates apart and let each kid weed there own template and apply the app tape.

Then each kido, will position the reverse stencil mask onto the horse blanket, then using the black Krylon spray paint, they spray paint the name/logo onto the horse blanket, best to use several light coats.

The Krylon spay paint dries very fast, remove the stencil and presto, your kido has a customized horse blanket with the horses name and 4H logo or the owners name etc. And they learn about the different steps in making signs.

I know it's not like the high $ embroidered horse blanks, but this is a good project for them to learn

I have use this process on many outdoor fabric type projects myself, and the finished product is flexible, doesn't peel off and last a long time.

Attachments

• Horse-blanket.jpg
    Horse-blanket.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Horse-blanket 2.jpg
    Horse-blanket 2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 65