• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Software and OTF special features

Steve C.

I'm curious about what sign making software takes advantage of Open Type Automatic Ligatures
and Alternates. What do you use and can you take advantage of this option?. I have used Corel
for years and only recently have they included this feature. I know Adobe products have taken
advantage of this for years. Do any Sign Software programs? I have Flexi 7.6 so I know it does not.

WildWestDesigns

I'm curious about what sign making software takes advantage of Open Type Automatic Ligatures
and Alternates. What do you use and can you take advantage of this option?.

I know it's not a sign program, but EmbroideryStudio does take advantage of OTF now with their latest release. Not totally surprising since they are directly interfaced with Corel. So they will be limited by what Corel does, at least in the near term.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Gerber Omega 5 has what appears to be a "character map" of sorts that allows you to access ligatures. I've used it several times, but have since forgotten how to access it since we mostly use Illustrator. JB

Steve C.

Thanks for your response James. I suspect that no so called Sign software will do what
Illy and Corel will do. If you use Illy you know that Automatic ligatures and alternates can
be turned on and off so you don't have to search through character maps or rely or
the numbers key pad to place ligatures and alternates in your layouts. If you type two
characters consecutively the otf code will automatically enter a single ligature for the
two. Corel x6 is the first version to offer this.