• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Substrates??

vinylbarry

Any heard of any of these or know were is the best palce to get it?
Pvc sign board for cnc or router.

Komacel
Komacel Plus
Komadur Type II

Komacel and Sintra are similar materials, if your local supplier carries Sintra you should be all set. The same type of material goes by a couple of different names...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like mentioned... they are similar and handle relatively the same, but they are not the same in one major respect. Sintra has encapsulated lead in it. This is a very hard fact to find because it is hidden quite well on the websites and literature..... but it is in there. If you are just using it in full sheets, you're fine, but as soon as you start cutting it.... guess what happens ??

Possibly by now, Sintra might have an alternate product, but anyone who goes to so much trouble to hide an important fact is not my cup of tea. We banned the use of all Sintra products many many years ago.... and spread the word wherever and whenever possible.

Celtec is an excellent product.

:thread

So... when I cut Sintra on my panel saw and breath in all that fine dust I'm being poisoned? I knew I wasn't quite right, but I thought it was just me... Can I sue?

Actually a quick search turned up a couple of things... one of them said that saw dust isn't going to be a problem, exposure happens when it is burnt or heated...

More info anyone?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you have a case to sue anyone, because for the average user.... they aren't cutting enough to do much harm. However, some high production shops might be cutting or routing 100's of sheets a day. They now wear all OSHA protective equipment.

This hasn't anything to do with plastics, but when all lettering enamels and bulletins had lead in them.... there were quite a few cases of lead poisoning because of not so much the breathing of the paint, but all the paint that splattered you and you soaked up through your skin, not to mention all the lead under your fingernails.

Also, lead dust is quite damaging, so you need to be careful when cleaning your messes also.

good stuff..used it for years http://www.kommerlingusa.com/products.html?bg=top-graphic.jpg&main=0

no unusual characteristics other than the normal issues with all pvc products.

yes Sintra does or did contain a small amount of lead unless their formula has changed. like all products that you use in your shop...i really encourage everyone to start collecting msds sheets so that you know what you are working with and then you can make informed decisions about what you are subjecting yourself to. with many other alternatives available in my opinion there is no reason to subject yourself to unnecessary health risks.

edited to add...that actually there have been multiple lawsuits regarding sintra, i have been involved in a few of them to give testimony that there are alternatives available...usually it is employees bringing suit against their employer for exposure one very notable case was an employee against six flags who worked in their sign shop...i am certain with the powers of google there is something out there for your reading enjoyment..

petrosgraphics

not many suppliers carrying the sintra brand in our area... komotex and komacell is pretty
much the standard now... the only thing i have found, when applying viny to the surface, when i plan on cutting letters using my router, the vinyl tends to bite better if i sand the surface
with 120 grit paper, then apply the vinyl......has anyone else noticed this.....

vinylbarry

Thanks for all the replys I am trying to find it I have some samples of sintra but it seems to be more of a solid then the above products.
Thanks for the input about sintra I did not know that and I have had lead poising before and dont ever want it again.