• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign thieves...

Rodi

If they are taking the posts too, when you remake the sign, you should hollow out a spot in the posts and stick one of these bad boys in it. Then contact the police if they steal them again with their exact location. :Big Laugh
I like that!:U Rock:

SignManiac

Many many years ago, a new homeowner contacted me to make him a custom house sign. His home was a very nice expensive lakefront property that was situated between two other houses, one to his east and the other to his west.

One of the neighbors houses had a sign that designated their home as the East Wind. The other home had a sign that read The Trade Winds. Well I designed a nice sandblasted gold leaf sign for him and installed it. Within a month it was stolen. The thieves simply disconnected the french connector links and parted with it. The owner was pretty pissed and had me make a brand new replacement only this time I bolted the sign in place with countersunk lag bolts. Not to be deterred, the thieves came back with a chain saw and cut through both of the 4"x4" pressure treated posts.

I did end up making a third one but this time is was a plain flat painted sign. Here's the sign that was stolen!

Attachments

• passing wind.jpg
    passing wind.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 80

Craig Sjoquist

Why would anyone steal a sign ... regardless of the words on it ... gold maybe but hey thats very little egad American people be American

Pat Whatley

Why would anyone steal a sign ... regardless of the words on it ... gold maybe but hey thats very little egad American people be American

Let's see, over the years I've seen:

Countless Plywood signs painted over and relettered
-Plywood signs used in construction projects
-1/2" PVC signs used for homemade dimensional lettering
-Realtors stealing competitors yard signs
-College kids stealing road signs, bathroom signs, and anything with a beer logo on them
-One "sign shop in Mom's basement" guy who stole, stripped, and relettered banners because he couldn't find a supplier
-Souvenirs
-Resale...you'd be amazed at how many old signs I've seen in thrift stores, especially if it's sandblasted.
-Competing property owners. I've seen people with property for sale knock down the sign on their neighbors property which was for sale cheaper. When I sold my last house the house across the street and the one next door were also for sale. The night before my open house I went an "borrowed" their real estate signs. I had a signed contract Sunday night, the neighbors signs were re-installed right after that.