• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Warranty?

BrianKE

I had a customer ask me about the warranty for some signs I recently did for them. I told then before installing that the vinyl was guaranteed for 5 years but didn't mention anything else.

I am wondering if anyone has a generic sign warranty statement that you provide customers and what all you include in the warranty. It is easy to say the vinyl is guaranteed for 5 years (or whatever the supplier says) but what about anything else involved with the sign (substrate, installation, etc.)

I would like to have my lawyer draft something for me but not even sure what to look for to know if what he has done is good or not. If anyone has a warranty statement they would be willing to share that would be great.

TIA,
Brian Enderle

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I had a customer ask me about the warranty for some signs I recently did for them. I told then before installing that the vinyl was guaranteed for 5 years but didn't mention anything else.

I am wondering if anyone has a generic sign warranty statement that you provide customers and what all you include in the warranty. It is easy to say the vinyl is guaranteed for 5 years (or whatever the supplier says) but what about anything else involved with the sign (substrate, installation, etc.)

I would like to have my lawyer draft something for me but not even sure what to look for to know if what he has done is good or not. If anyone has a warranty statement they would be willing to share that would be great.

I give my standard 5/50 warranty on everything that leaves the shop. That's 5 minutes or 50 mph whichever occurs first.

Seriously though, my warranty policy in signs is pretty much the same as the one I give when I sell a horse. I won't guarantee that it's a horse. Or a sign.

That doesn't mean that I won't give my honest opinion as to durability and longevity given whatever usage the client might describe. I just won't guarantee it. Period.

If some client finds that unacceptable they're welcome to shop elsewhere.

Williams Signs

I warranty all my signs for one year. The only thing I can't warranty is acts of God. If the vinyl fails or the substrate fails in the first year no questions I replace it. I do not warranty anything that is supplied by the customer. I say supplied by the customer because I live close to the place that makes alucabond and there are ally of cut pieces around here from rejects from the plant. This info is at the bottom of all my quotes, invoices, and proofs.

westpointsigns

I guarantee all installed signs for 3 years.
That includes vinyl, substrates, hardware, etc. Anything I use to either produce the finished product I guarantee 100% for 3 years. If it fails then I replace it at no cost to the customer.

If the customer installs the sign, then it is their baby. I will guarantee only the vinyl and nothing else. If they put a screw through a vinyl letter, that particular piece just lost any guarantee.

As for vehicle graphics.
Applied: 3 years against peeling, cracking, fading.

If the customer is going to apply it...Guaranteed till it hits the door.

MikePro

we warranty all of our manufactured signage. gives client peace of mind, gives us a better rep., and our suppliers cover most everything besides labor. (2 years, i believe?)

sucked when we got involved in a "bad batch" of power supplies, from a respected company, over the course of 6 months. Turned out some assembly equipment wasn't making proper solders at certain connections... but that was the explanation after the fact that we had to go across 3 state lines to change 40 or so LED power supplies.
Supplier covered the power supplies, but we had to cover labor/gas. o well.

Its like Blackjack... house wins in the long-haul, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and pay out a lotta chips.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago when everything was hand-painted on wood, metal or canvas..... I could give a guarantee and stand behind it for years. I knew exactly what was going out my door.

Today, even our suppliers can't tell us if they're selling us stuff from China or Tim-buck-tue. Substrates and supplies for the most part are a mystery when you point-blank ask them what or where it came from or how's it made.

Like bob.... I tell people I will stand behind something for a given amount of time. I will decide if I will replace or fix something. I put nothing in writing. Like it or lump it.

Good repeat customers get the most tolerance from us, while someone ordering a post and panel system will get the #50 guarantee. 50' from our front door.

SignManiac

I stand behind all of my dimensional work for 5 years. I think maybe one had a failure and I stood behind it. I sell quality and peace of mind for a higher price than others do!